Facelift Loud fan s3

AlS3BE

Reaction score
hi guys
Any of you experience the fan coming on after a drive? Comes on after I take key out the ignition. Runs for about 5-10 minutes. Been happening a lot recently and never noticed this in the last 7-8 months.
Reminds me of my old diesels if I stop during a dpf regen.

Just didn’t notice it last year when I got the car.l and it was a lot warmer around late August than it has been over the past week.

Yeah mine definitely done this. Most modern Audi's afaik do this to cool down

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE
Just to confirm are you guys hearing the interior cooling fan(maybe MMI) or an external one from under bonnet?

I just know when I turned off the S3 (and my dad's A1) there was a loud fan noise which kept running for another 5-10 minutes later. Which fan this is I don't know, but I do know it's normal.

My engine bay fan comes on and runs for a wee while after I turn the engine off......occasionally in normal temperatures but much more often in warm temperatures like today.

Always thought it was a dpf trait when regen didn’t finish. Never had this on a petrol before.
Just hoping I don’t come back to a flat battery. Had a few warning of low battery on the dash over the last few months. Just been too busy to get it checked out at the dealers.

Mine always does it especially after driving at low speeds for a while or when air con has been running pretty hard

Hey you never know it could be broken!

Got over 2 years warranty left so not worried too much :wink:
In my head if it break it need to break in a spectacular fashion so there’s no mucking about when it comes to a claim.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it pal.

I noticed this just afterpicking my car up so was keen to get down to finding out what is was just in case it was a fault. AIS3BE's on the money. Just burning off the stuff it needs to which it hasn't while out and about.

I noticed this just afterpicking my car up so was keen to get down to finding out what is was just in case it was a fault. AIS3BE's on the money. Just burning off the stuff it needs to which it hasn't while out and about.

Nothing to burn off. Mine a pre wltp car so no opf/gpf. I kinda expect it in a wltp car though similar to how dpf regen works.

I have this after virtually every journey so good to know it’s normal on the S3. My 1.8 8V rarely did it but I know there’s quite a difference in engine power.

Is there a difference between behaviour on FL/PFL? Wondering if behaviour changed to help reduce the thermostat housing failures (apart from redesigning the thermostat housing which I know was done).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have this after virtually every journey so good to know it’s normal on the S3. My 1.8 8V rarely did it but I know there’s quite a difference in engine power.

Is there a difference between behaviour on FL/PFL? Wondering if behaviour changed to help reduce the thermostat housing failures (apart from redesigning the thermostat housing which I know was done).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
My FL S3 had it and the thermostat housing still had to be replaced under warranty, so don't think so.

Reactions: JohnM100
Try to drive the car "nicely" for 5 minutes before you get home (switch the engine off) the fan would not be on

If a car is driven hard, even moderately, you should always allow a period for the various stressed components to cool down before stopping the car and turning off the engine. This is especially true of the brakes as well...

Try to drive the car "nicely" for 5 minutes before you get home (switch the engine off) the fan would not be on
Nope, sorry.....even after a very gentle drive the fan will still turn on after the engine is switched off if the ambient temperature is high enough.
It is completely normal. :)

Reactions: Adam14
Depends if you are hearing engine cooling fans, or the climate as well. I don't know if the s4 has a separate condenser fan or it is shared with the cooling fans...

Nope, sorry.....even after a very gentle drive the fan will still turn on after the engine is switched off if the ambient temperature is high enough.
It is completely normal. :)

Thanks @Ron240 - Agree. Thanks for confirming.

I always do a cool down drive for the last few miles and have done so since my first turbocharged car in 2002.

It’s definitely radiator fan, not climate control and by the fan speed it’s more than would be caused by aircon (which is moot anyway as I always turn air con off when I start my cool down drive to allow time for the condenser and vents to dry out and not leave moisture in there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thanks @Ron240 - Agree. Thanks for confirming.

I always do a cool down drive for the last few miles and have done so since my first turbocharged car in 2002.

It’s definitely radiator fan, not climate control and by the fan speed it’s more than would be caused by aircon (which is moot anyway as I always turn air con off when I start my cool down drive to allow time for the condenser and vents to dry out and not leave moisture in there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mines been doing this fan thing for a while now even in the winter months.
I’m like you always do cool down for the last mile or 2 but been finding that oil temp goes up when i take it easy but goes down when I tank it.
Surprisingly it’s not done it for a few days so I guess only when certain component are hot it does it.
Does remind me of my diesel cars when dpf hasn’t done the regen properly.

Happens after every drive whatever the temperature in my ‘66FL S3. Same on a couple i test drove too.....not at all bothered but it was a surprise at first !

Reactions: JohnM100
If a car is driven hard, even moderately, you should always allow a period for the various stressed components to cool down before stopping the car and turning off the engine. This is especially true of the brakes as well...

what's the logic behind this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was actually a notice to this effect on the underside of the sun-visor in my Impreza - I believe that in turbo-charged engines the oil drains quickly from the turbo (as it typically sits at the top of the engine) and so stopping suddendly after hard driving could cause damage to the bearings of the turbo. This may not be an issue on more modern cars, but I imagine that the fan run-on in the Audis is designed to protect the engine

Yeahhhhh?, how is leaving the car running for a little while going to reduce stress on brake rotors, callipers and pads? If you've been braking hard I guess its not good to be sat stationary with your foot still on the brake peddle, could possible warp the disc?

The fan on my MY19 S3 Saloon seems random, if I've been having a play sometimes the fan turns off straight away after turning the car off (even when I've not sat there for a couple of minutes like a numpty waiting for it all to cool - engine temp has increased whilst sat stationary so not sure its actually that good for it, especially now it has a GPF, compounded I wonder, if you do hardly any mileage?), if I've been driving normally it often stays on for a good while.......

Guessing there are quite a number of measurements the car is making that we aren't aware of, I'm not too bothered, oil and water is checked regular, about as much I can do to make sure its all ticketyboo.