Loud Fan Noise.

lifeboatcrew

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone help with my problem on on 53 plate 8p a3. My fan will kick in sometimes as soon as i start the car in the mornings and then when the temp is at 90deg, the car is not overheating and is at the right temp, any one help?????

could be an aircon fault, try giving my old boy a phone he has full diagnostic capibilities and charges reasonable rates, drop me a pm if you need his number (we're located in forfar)

I had this on my 04 plate. There was a long thread about it a while ago (will try and dig it up tomorrow when I am more awake) and I dont think a conclusion was made.

Do you know which fan it is as there are two on mine, an Aircon fan (relating to P5SND's post above) and the engine cooling fan as far as I know. Not sure if all models were the same though.

To eliminate a possibility, when you press the 'ECON' button on your Climate control, does the fan stop? (Under a minute I think mine took)

On mine it only occurred when using the aircon, and to this day I have no idea what it was, but I stopped using the aircon all the time (before it got so hot) and now that it is hot, it seems to have cured itself. I haven't yet checked the fan properly though so that could need replacing :/ but it does still rotate, just not as loud and intrusive as before unless I drive from leaving work all the way home (approx 40 mins) and then it does come on which I suspect is pretty normal. It then only lasts a short while and then slows down again.

Hope that does make some sort of sense! I'm very tired so please excuse me :)

Dec that uaually means your aircon is running low pressure (ie needing charged) if your econ light wont switch on or off at all your aircon is empty and will cause these symptoms (i still need to get mine charged)

Ah right, that's probably what mine is then sorry lol it's been fine the last month or so when I have wanted it, but not used it very often! Your a bit of a guru really aren't you!

haha you learn these things when you work on a lot of them, its no even my full time job i just help my old boy out. the real guru is nhn makes my knolage look like a toddler

Yea but it's finding somewhere who would Let someone with little knowledge into their workshop lol! Might be able to see if any little garages would have me as a volunteer though I guess :)

youll get one that will let you work for free, it has its perks, free jetwash acess to ramps tools etc

ok guys thanks for the info above, i have a aircom pressure tester will see if it needs topped up before i fork out on the £40 gas, thanks

or you can look with vagcome im sure the pressure is either in block 1 or 2 in the aircon