1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Loud DV Noise - Low Boost Pressure

S3_Mat Apr 5, 2015

1. S3_Mat

S3_Mat Registered User

Need a helping hand guys. S3 8P. Car is only boosting to 0.5bar Stutters on full throttle past 3k. Very loud DV noise when lifting off the throttle.

I believe its a boost leak and i suspect its one of the intercooler pipes. Can anyone confirm if this is a likely culprit or if i'm looking at something more costly.

Thanks

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. TDI140

TDI140 Registered User

Sounds like boost leak mate could be DV or boost hoses

4. S3_Mat

S3_Mat Registered User

The diverter is a GFB DV+ checked that and and looked healthy with a good coat of oil. Hoping its a boost leak and not the turbo. It will not go past 0.5bar at all car feels as weak as a new born kitten.

5. Marine_918

Marine_918 Registered User

What do you mean by stuttering? Sounds like it could be a coilpack issue if it's stuttering. Mines doing that at the minute on hard throttle so just waiting for my R8 coilspacks to arrive.

6. Ryan-C88

Ryan-C88 Registered User

Where did you order your coil packs and where from?? Could with skme some new ones and spark plugs myself

7. Marine_918

AwesomeGTI matey. £77 for all four. Ill be suprised if a boost leak would cause stuttering.

8. Ryan-C88

Ryan-C88 Registered User

Are they actually the r8 ones then? I see them yesterday but just asumed they normal 1s that are just red as they same price as black 1s?? Or is that the inly difference anyway?

9. Marine_918

There the ones from the R8 that fit into TFSI engines. Not sure what difference they make from the standard ones but they are alot cheaper than the standard ones by about £30!

10. S3_Mat

S3_Mat Registered User

So the car is booked in with streetwise on thursday to investigate the problem. The car seems to be in constant limp mode with no CEL and no error codes. Its only boosting to 7psi (wastegate pressure) and holds. Thinking its either a huge boost leak causing limp mode or N75 has given up. I get a rough idle with the oil cap off so its not PCV and that should cause this about of boost to be lost anyway. Also checked the DV and thats all fine. I removed the MAF temporarily and still underboosting.

It could be a fair few things... Boost leak, MAP, N75, wastegate stuck open although it builds some boost its not likely this. Could be throttle body problems causing limp mode as well. Hard without a fault code to work out what but im sure the garage will smoke test it and then log it and let me know.

11. S3_Mat

S3_Mat Registered User

Error codes thrown up on VAG COM were MAP sensor signal too high and Coolant temp sensor signal too high. Fans were on from cold.

If anyone else has this problem this turned out to be a bad earth on the ECU for this part of the engine loom and nearly needed an ECU Swap but the garage managed to alter the wiring to earth it some other way.