Lost all drive 2.5tdi quattro

typertony

Reaction score
My car has been driving perfectly with no crunches, noises, slipping or smells.

I can around a corner slowly in second gear and lost all drive.

When I lift the clutch pedal there is a slight grinding noise but no drive in any gear.

Is this a blown clutch? Ive had clutches go before and there are normally signs that they are on there way out.

Could it be anything else? Drive shaft or propshaft maybe?

Looks like driveshaft has popped off...

Reactions: spartacus 68
I did think that might have happens but would it loose all drive? Wouldn't it still try and move?

I would say driveshaft aswell. I had same happen to me last year. I slowed down to turn into my drive and went into second and it just revved like I missed a gear so put it in first and it just revved the same again with no drive and a grinding noise. I thought it was the clutch but it turned out it was the driver side front driveshaft had failed which was a lot cheaper to replace than the clutch. The way the Quattro system works if a driveshaft has gone you will lose all drive. Hope thats of help

Last edited:
Yep, as described above- quattro has 3 open diffs which will move nowhere if one wheel looses drive. You can get it to move forward if you use handbrake but it would not do the centre diff any good ! Best look under the car whilst turning steering to full lock either side- it seems that a shaft popped out of the outer cv joint especially if recent work has been done to the driveline...

Thanks for the help guys! You know your stuff.

Just been out and the drivers side shaft seems to have popped out of the cv.

Going to change the cv joint and retaining clip. Much better than a clutch!!