Loss of Power this Morning - Please Help

L33TAY

Reaction score
Hi All

Got a problem with the car and wondered if anyone has had the same issues.

I noticed last week that there was a slight loss of low end power, and the turbo wasn't kicking in till 2K plus revs, and seemed less responsive.

Then this morning, I had a total loss of turbo (At least thats what I think it was) as couldn't hear it whistling at all, and car would not rev over 3K, and struggled to get it to go over 40mph.

Sat in a layby for a while contemplating what to do, as the car is JUST out of warranty (Typical) and then crawled to Stockport Audi, this was at 7am this morning.

So, I got out of the car, went to see what time they opened, when I got back in the car and started her up, everything was OK again!!

Is this possibly a sensor of some sort that is at fault, or could it be something more sinister???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and am hoping this is not an expensive fix!

Just waiting now for it to happen again, and will probably be 300 miles from home!

Lee

Did the car feel like it was vibrating when you were doing 40mph or at the max revs you could gain i.e. did it feel like a mis-fire?

Did the engine management light flash or remain on?

I had something similar happen recently and it turned out to be a faulty (then eventuall dead) coil pack although your issue sounds a little different...

Scan it with VCDS it will give you some clues. Sounds like limp mode.

Did the car feel like it was vibrating when you were doing 40mph or at the max revs you could gain i.e. did it feel like a mis-fire?

Did the engine management light flash or remain on?

I had something similar happen recently and it turned out to be a faulty (then eventuall dead) coil pack although your issue sounds a little different...

Hellz, it just felt like it was struggling, not a miss fire, as though the Turbo wasn't there at all.
There were no engine managements lights on.

I'm going down to Audi later and will quiz them too.

its the a filter that tells the engine how much air is getting into the engine, ull find it at the top left of the engine cover
from what i remember they are about £80-100 but make sure u buy from a reputable source as there are plenty of bent ones out there!
dont know if this is advisable on an audi engine, but when i had my alfa, if your were unsure if the MAF had gone was to unplug it and take the car for a spin, you would get an engine light come up, but the engine should run fine if that was the problem... but only do this for a really really short drive, sure someone else will advise me if this is advisable on the audis or not as i wouldn't recommend it.