Loss of power, juddering problem with 1.8T

pav-g

Reaction score
Hi Guys need some help with my 1.8t. On way back from work car started fluctuating on idle pretty strongly and engines juddering, their is a loss of power whilst I drove home and the engine management light was flashing on and off. Anyone experience same problem, need help before I take it down to dealers in morning and get ripped off.

100% sure thats a dead coilpack mate.

Any funny smells? Sulphur or pertol smell?

£30 each from the stealer.

Dont drive it any more until its replaced.

Yeah car does smell funny, how many coil packs does car take and is it a big job etc - Ive no idea

They have 4, but its probably only 1 thats gone. The best way is to VAG it and it will show a misfire on a certain cylinder, that will be the dead coilpack. The other way to do it is to just buy a new one, replace the first one, start the car if it runs ok that was the dead one, if not move onto the next cylinder.

They are realy easy to chage, they just pop off the spark plug.

Oh and the smell in the car will probs be unburnt petrol flowing into the cat, dont drive it as it can damage the cat.

Where abouts are you?

Thank for info mate, Im in bradford. I had car serviced last week inc new timing belt etc changed also, just hope its not linked to that. I did a search on threads relating to coil packs and finding some interesting reading. I just spoke to mechanic from garage and il be taking it down there in morning. Lets hope he knows what to look out for.

Wow thats more or less all the symptoms my car is suffering from. The drive to garage is less than a mile so once I get it there I wont drive it until its fixed, now lets hope the dealers have the coilpacks in stock.

They should have them in stock like as its a really common problem. Infact Im prety sure there was a recall on some of the earlier ones so it may be worth giving them a call and asking if yours were affected. All they should need is your reg.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for your support on this one Pete, yes you were correct. Got it checked on computer today at my mates garage and the fourth coilpack came up as a fault. Picked one up from dealers for 28 quid and the car is driving like a dream again. Thanks

No probs Pav. When my first one went I nearly sh4t myself, I thought it was something really serious. Pleased you got it sorred mate.

:thumbsup:

Snap, thats what happened to me plus the sleepless night thinking something serious had happened. Thats where this forum and guys like yourself are invaluable.:respekt:

pav-g said:
Snap, thats what happened to me plus the sleepless night thinking something serious had happened.

I know the feeling mate, thats why Ive just bit the bullet and bouught from a dealer. :( It pains me to do so but at least Im not gonna be panicking anymore every time I hear a little rattle. :)

Despite all the things that have gone wrong with my cunty motor, I've never had a coilpack go on me after driving two 1.8T engines in two years.

golf said:
Despite all the things that have gone wrong with my cunty motor, I've never had a coilpack go on me after driving two 1.8T engines in two years.

Fingers crossed you dont but if you do its a simple cheap repair and you now know what to do if you start experiencing the same problems.

pav, I ****** wish I had coilpack problems, but instead I get turbo seals, overheating and brakes locking up at motorway speed. Hurrah.

Touch wood never had a car that gave me major problems apart from my very first car (Fiat 127 GT Sport in Red) I remember buying the motor and speeding down the motorway eager to get home to show-off to mates etc when the drivers side windscreen wiper blew off literally from the body of the car and it was ******* it down, managed to get on hard shoulder and live to tell the tale.