Loss of power after super-unleaded shortage :(

joshxs

Reaction score
Not happy :( My gorgeous '00 S3 is running like a 1.6 A3!

I have had to resort to running on standard 95 octane unleaded for a couple of weeks due to supply problems at all the garages in my area.

Finally got a nice full tank of 99 super in last week :) However, my car still runs like poo :( I have cleaned out my MAF sensor, intake to the throttle body and pulled the battery for a few mins.

Arrghh! Any ideas out there? Am I running in a 'limp' mode and does a battery reset fix this?

TIA
J

Limp mode should be reset the moment you switch car off and back again, it's like running a 1.8 n/a, with the turbo literally not running. Have you tried running the car with the MAF unplugged?

Turbo is definately going, though how well is another question. You can hear Darth Vader noises coming from the engine, so I know it's recirc-ing.

Talking of noises, the engine sounds awful at the mo, has sounded like this since I had to use 95 octane unleaded. Has lost the nice throaty growl, now just sounds a 'bit flat'.

I will unplug the MAF, and see how it goes. - cheers

Pulled the MAF sensor this morning, seems to be an awful lot better! Has anyone fitted a euro car parts one or similar pattern part? I'm assuming Audi will be very expensive for this part?!

From what you've said it sounds like you've figured it out, but just to add I have seen people on here say it takes about a tank and a half to 2 tanks of 99octane for the engine to adjust.

joshxs said:
Pulled the MAF sensor this morning, seems to be an awful lot better! Has anyone fitted a euro car parts one or similar pattern part? I'm assuming Audi will be very expensive for this part?!

Good work there, replacement from Audi should be £80 exchange for your old one, aftermarket one is around £55, and that's just the sensor part, you need torx screw set to swop them over. :icon_thumright:

jojo said:
Good work there, replacement from Audi should be £80 exchange for your old one, aftermarket one is around £55, and that's just the sensor part, you need torx screw set to swop them over. :icon_thumright:

Do you have to pay a 'deposit' to do this? Do you have to change it there and then or do they give you a grace period? Cheers

jesters3 said:
Do you have to pay a 'deposit' to do this? Do you have to change it there and then or do they give you a grace period? Cheers

I think you need to pay the full amount, don't know how much?, then claim it back upon returning the used part, might aswell just turn up with a toolkit and do it outside!

Nice one, better give them a call and get mine sorted. Got a dodgy lumpy idle going on!

I paid £75 inc vat for mine from Audi Northampton and a £20 deposit on the exchange.

Just picked up mine from Ridgeway Audi.

Luckily they had one in stock when i went and picked up some PS fluid. For those after more info:

MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) Part Number for a BAM 225hp S3: 06A906461MX

£64.00 + VAT for the MAF
£20.00 + VAT for the Surcharge - refundable on return of the old MAF in the new MAF box.

Just fitted it. Very straight forward. Wish I did it sooner!

Remove Air box Cover
Unclip TIP
Unplug the sensor
Pull off the top of the air box so it is 'free'
Unscrew the two screws that hold the MAF in
Pull out the old MAF
Whip in the new on
Rescrew
Refit top air box
Fit the Sensor
Clip the TIP
Replace Air box cover
Start her up!

The dodgy lumpy idle has gone so far so here's hoping!

Cheers all

:icon_thumright: