Loss of power after sprited drive....too warm?

Mk1magic

Reaction score
Hi
Right i was on the way home from a job saturday afternoon, after a rather sprited drive down the dual carrageway i came into town to find the car acting very "underpowered". The temp gauge was reading just over 90 (litrally just over) so it wasnt over heating, however, i have recently fitted an s2000 filter with no cold air feed/ heat shield. Am i right in thinking this is the issue as when the cars cold, runs fine and usually runs great, this is the first time this has happened.
Like i mentioned im pretty sure its to do with the cold air feed thats missing so im going to do this, wheres best to put the pipe i.e under the car, behind the grill etc and also is a heat shield nessasary?
Some help on this would be most appreciated chaps :)
Cheers
Arron

If the gauge ever reads over 90 it IS overheating.

Standard car or mapped?

its standard, had a new stat and water pump at 86k (now 106k) so wouldnt expect it to be that?

hmmm not 100% sure what u mean by that but nothing came up on the dash (warning light wise), but i take it im still best to give it a look over.
Took it out earlier tonight and all was fine again, im just a tad concerned that when the weather gets warmer, this is going to happen alot more :S

The codes dont always throw the light on, its hardly been a scorcher so i dont think thats your problem,,,

As jardo says, if it goes above 90 there is an issue somewhere..

nice one, ill get it hooked upto a laptop and see whats going on :)
Nice one chaps

Faulty temp sensor tricking it into fuel dumping to try and lower temps would be my thoughts.

Would also cause the high temp gauge.

Mine boiled the water in the head and the gauge never moved off 90.

been told by someone else it could be a faulty temp sensor, nice and cheap part, easy to diy and wouold i need to get it coded to the ecu or would it just be a case of removing faulty one, replace and away we go?

Nope, just swap it out and job done. Stats go every couple of years, temp sensors every 4/5 years.