Losing coolant??

echo_mike

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if our cars somehow hold more coolant in the system during very hot summer months when the car is off whereby the coolant level shows lower on the exp. tank or am I having a leak somewhere (again!??!)...

I've had my thermostat replaced under warranty with the latest revision at the time about 40,000km/3yrs ago (24k miles ago) for the coolant leak. Since then I've queried twice (almost every service) with Audi that my coolant level seem to be dropping, each time they do a pressure test and tell me that it was air in the system and they just top it up a bit.

So now, its summer here in Australia and I've noticed my coolant level went down to MIN line after routine check. I added approx 100ml (3oz) to bring it back up to middle about a week ago and now when I checked it seemed to have gone down a bit; still above the MIN but lower than when I added it a week ago. I checked the engine oil (looks almost new) and can't see any obvious leaks. I can smell the radiator smell after every drive but it's been like that since new.

So...do our cars hold extra water in the system during hot summer months therefore the coolant level shows lower than usual or do I have a leak somewhere (thermostat or water pump again?!?!) All opinions/inputs are welcome. Cheers