Losing coolant...

fakker

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if it's the cold weather (it's not even that cold)... But my 2010 A3 Sline Diesel, is losing coolant pretty badly on a 30 mile journey, I'm having to top up every week so far...
I've checked my oil cap and the dip stick to see if it has that milky moisture buildup, which it doesn't... Just black, no bits in it either...
I hit the 90c mark in the car no problem, and it doesn't go over the 90c mark either... I have no problems with starting the car, and there's no white smoke out the exhaust either...
At lunch time, I did get bored, left the engine on for about 30 minutes and then popped the bonnet, and noticed a bit of steam from the front radiator, fans weren't spinning as AC wasn't on, and the oil temperature was reporting at 78c...
I'm not the most technically minded with cars, but I'm not able to 'see' any leak, but it's going somewhere. I checked the coolant cap to confirm it was pressurising ok, and it does as I hear the air escape when hot...
I've always topped up whilst the engine is cold, so I'm hoping I've checked the basics, and did try to follow the pipe from the top of the coolant to the engine, and there's no leaks or wet pipe. When the engine is running, and warm, I can see the top of the coolant tank (where the pipe is), taking up coolant...

The odd thing is, boxing day I was able to drive to Edinburgh and back, without any issue... and all of a sudden this has started happening last week (12th or 13th the coolant light came on).
I did read horror stories regarding head gasket failures, and am now wondering what my engine code is, as I see it was common for the BKD engines... Also, if I were to take this into a garage, without wanting to get ripped off, can I ask them to check something specific? Or is there any advice available? Or anyone able to recommend any mechanics in the Hitchin/Hertfordshire area?

I would think its a leak somewhere in the system to or from radiator, but thats just my two cents.

Mine had similar symptoms and it turned out to coming for radiator after i paniced about the head for a good week

Reactions: fakker
I suffered from almost identical symptoms for months. Mine turned out to be a leaking radiator. I'd check for coolant residue on your undertray. I could also actually see corrosion on the side of the rad through the fan.

I'd be having a good look at the radiator and lower hoses.

Joe

By what you have said , the rad or pipes connecting it are leaking. There will also be rad temperature sensor fitted in the rad so this could be a source of the leak.
If you can't do it then let your most trusted garage have a look. Even if it's not leaking al the time, there will be tell tale signs of where the leak is and should be quick to find.

I suffered from almost identical symptoms for months. Mine turned out to be a leaking radiator. I'd check for coolant residue on your undertray. I could also actually see corrosion on the side of the rad through the fan.

I'd be having a good look at the radiator and lower hoses.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that, I'll check it... I did notice moisture on the tray like your picture shows, but thought that was due to the ****** weather at the moment.

It could be water still.

Although post radiator swap that area is bone dry in my car despite the weather.

A way to check is if you can get a hand to it and run the liquid between your fingers, coolant feels thicker than water and has a sweet smell.

It could be water still.

Although post radiator swap that area is bone dry in my car despite the weather.

A way to check is if you can get a hand to it and run the liquid between your fingers, coolant feels thicker than water and has a sweet smell.

Assuming I can just use tissue, and see if it comes back pinkish?

It could be water still.

It's coolant, nice pink kitchen roll sheet...

Appreciate your help on this btw

It's coolant, nice pink kitchen roll sheet...

Appreciate your help on this btw

No worries. If you can't see any obvious leaks from the coolant pipes going to the radiator I'd say it was that.

Mine eventually got worse and when I finally found the corrosion on the rad I bit the bullet and bought a new rad from Audi and fitted it myself.

Be a man and taste it.

This did make me laugh

Reactions: grainqey
Just a quick update, currently at the garage and they've confirmed it is the radiator that's got the problem, as you suggested.

Waiting for them to quote me and get it sorted today :)

All sorted, total cost of £280.

Thanks for the help

Reactions: Jlambert and SnazzyWafles