Loose or missing underbody torx screws

WarwickL

Reaction score
Noticed the sumpguard cover was a bit loose on one edge today and found one of the torx screws holding it on at the back was missing.

Car has never hit anything and is a month old.

Decided to check all the underbody torx screws - most were loose, two missing.

They hold the sumpguard cover on, the rear and front bars and a few other things.

Not impressed at all.

Assume they were either not checked at predelivery or are just poorly designed and work loose.

Will pick up some spares tomorrow from local dealer.

Suggest you check yours - there are 20 or so.

Will get down to the usual dealer in a few weeks and have them check the entire car underneath.

Also noticed a loose bit of rubber gasket hanging down from the sump area - did not appear to be anything of use.

Reactions: pburv and mr gee
You seem surprised ??

Audi you got, not a Ford, Vauxhall, Kia, Insert Mainstream Brand here.

Thanks for the heads-up though - another bit of Audi DIY for me to complete over the Christmas Period.

Surprised given the car is a few weeks old, yep.

Unsurprised if it had been a mainstream brand, have had a few and got used to stuff falling off, broken. Suspect this is a dealership fault though.

Decided to check them all today, following a few km's added over the holidays.

I left one without a dab of silicon to see if it would come loose.

All except the one without silicon are tight. The one without was on the last few threads (after a week). Added a dab of silicon and tightened.

I mentioned the issue to the dealer a few days ago and he said 'yes, they do fall out, we just replace them for free'.

How about fixing the issue rather than just replacing them. Glad one didn't get picked up by a tyre.

Reactions: Snibo
My a3 went in for service yesterday when I picked it up they informed me that 3 of the screws were replaced so must of just worked Ioose, not a good sign if it keeps happening.

The plastic guard moves around a fair bit as the mounting points to the rear and sides are flexible plastic as well. I suspect that is partly why the screws work loose.