Loose Electrical Cable HELP!?

silent_wolf

Reaction score
Hi everyone I recently got myself a 2001 facelift s3, its just been to a garage for a look over. I got it back yesterday and was just checking everything was in order. I found a random loose cable under the manifold I'm not sure if its meant to be plugged into anything and from the quick look through the electrical manual I'm not sure what it does or if its important, can any one shed some light on this please?
au1XqqV.jpg

j3OCUMT.jpg
vNV207d.jpg
S4FErLO.jpg

EGT probe by position and number of pins... Need to remove the trim panel in front of the manifold and you can plug it in...

A scan using VCDS would be an idea

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't have a cable to scan the car, will it still be OK to drive after I have reconnected the cable? Its going back in a few days to have a strut mount replaced so I can ask them to scan it then

Plugging it back in will be better than not having it plugged in at all... it ill be fine

Assuming this is the EGT probe then disconnected it will be overfuelling and will be given poor MPG etc...

There is the question as to why this was unplugged... its not an area that generally has work but stuff like thermostat and PCV pipes are under there so it could be that some work has been done and it was overlooked...

The other possible issue is that it was faulty.. a scan should elude to whats going on although you may find you need to clear the codes first and drive the car for a bit to see if anything returns

<tuffty/>

The bumper was removed to have the ballasts checked and the control arms were also checked. I found some stuff wasn't put back properly (covers for lights and a few missing screws) but I only noticed the cable now, so I'm not sure if it was always like that.

But before I had the car looked at I got a similar fuel consumption to the one in your sig, so I assume it was always connected if it is the EGT probe.

I did notice a bolt missing in the trim panel by the manifold so I'm assuming the garage did this because both bolts were there when I first got the car, I'll try and reconnect it tomorrow morning

Thanks for the help much appreciated

The bumper was removed to have the ballasts checked and the control arms were also checked. I found some stuff wasn't put back properly (covers for lights and a few missing screws) but I only noticed the cable now, so I'm not sure if it was always like that.

But before I had the car looked at I got a similar fuel consumption to the one in your sig, so I assume it was always connected if it is the EGT probe.

I did notice a bolt missing in the trim panel by the manifold so I'm assuming the garage did this because both bolts were there when I first got the car, I'll try and reconnect it tomorrow morning

Thanks for the help much appreciated

I wouldn't use my MPG to compare tbh lol... my setup is a little different to most ;)

If you are getting that kind of MPG it suggests to me the EGT probe is not connected...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Alex C
Well I've developed a slightly heavy foot since getting the car:whistle2:, I'm not quite used to having so much power and get a bit carried away at times

The car has a full service history from Audi but I cant say I trust it because my mothers Audi was serviced at the same branch and they often didn't replace parts they billed her for, even parts that were recalled (ignition coils).

So I'm not sure what to think, but my average is 1 or 2 litres lower than yours but I sit in traffic for around 20 min on the way to work in the mornings, I'll try reconnect the cable and see if my fuel consumption improves on Monday and update the thread

Thanks