Looking to upgrade to 3.0 diesel

hydro

Reaction score
I currently have a 2016 190 ultra sport diesel with 20k on the clock. The pcp is coming to an end in a few months time. These days I'm doing only 6k miles/year. Question I have is do I keep it, or consider upgrading to a 3.0l? Is it worth getting another diesel, or is it time for some petrol fun.? Probably will look for a car with around 20k screen price. What's the pros and cons?

Just how thirsty is your diesel? I just got a July 19 A4 Avant S-line 40 with the 190TDI engine to replace a 2018 Polo GTI+.

Around the doors, mpg is unimpressive as you might expect for short journeys, my Polo with the 200ps EA888 3B 2.0TSI unit that is also in the A4 at "40" output (running 190ps) matching it.

On my 32 mile once a week commute I'm getting about 52mpg and the Polo would do 42mpg. Given the A4's extra weight, you'd be looking at a fuel cost increase of about 40% if your 6k miles PA includes weekly longer journeys rather than tons of short trips, for the DPF's sake. A clogged DPF and lots of active rather than passive regens does hit the mpg quite a bit.

Mines has averaged 60+mpg, but its mainly used on longer journeys. Hardly used around town.

Does yours have Quattro? Mine does, that'll make it a little worse vs FWD, Avant is a little heavier than the saloon. MPG for me is a little lower than expected, but not miles off.

If you do decide to change to a 3.0 tdi get the 272, the 218 is not worth it over the 190 2.0tdi.

If you do decide to change to a 3.0 tdi get the 272, the 218 is not worth it over the 190 2.0tdi.

I'm thinking the same. I used to have a B8.5 3.0d. How much different the 272 engine?

What's on the market for 20k sticker price? You'd likely be getting a higher mileage car or lower spec so why not just keep what you've got and maybe consider a remap or tuning box. With your mileage though, why bother with another diesel? If you change then surely petrol would make more sense.

I’ve not driven the B8 3.0 tdi, only the 2.7 TDI B8 so I can’t comment on how much quicker it is.

I’ve had plenty of time with a 218 A4 and a 190 A4 and the 218 is not much better, like I’d just choose the better spec or better colour one.

If your after something different to a 2.0 diesel but similar To an Audi A4, I would get an S4/S5, not the B8 generation as that chassis is garbage, But the 2016+ ones I’m sure you can buy a used one around 20kish.

Reactions: hydro
I had a 240hp A5 3.0 tdi manual and I now have the 3.0 tdi 272 A4 b9. I would say the difference in performance is very noticeable, although I think the auto has a part to play in that as well.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

On those miles it’s petrol all the way. I have a tuned 3.0 tdi 272 running 355 bhp and love it. However I do 600-700 miles a week. If I done less than 15k a year I’d definitely go petrol. Right now if my job changed I would either go for a BMW M340i or a petrol S4, possible a RS4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ginge247
On the mpg front don't be too put off. I sold my 470hp S4 last year to get this diesel avant I have now, needed the space for kids. The mpg isn't massively different depending how you will drive it. If i went on a decent run in the S4 with the odd boot now and then it returned high 30s no problems, my diesel is only doing low 40s driving the same way. But the performance difference is night and day.

Reactions: Deleted member 133011
On the mpg front don't be too put off. I sold my 470hp S4 last year to get this diesel avant I have now, needed the space for kids. The mpg isn't massively different depending how you will drive it. If i went on a decent run in the S4 with the odd boot now and then it returned high 30s no problems, my diesel is only doing low 40s driving the same way. But the performance difference is night and day.

Yeah agreed, the driving habits make a massive difference. When I’m working and driving sensibly I’ll get between 45-50mpg. Not working and driving to enjoy the car I get very low 40’s. I drove to the south of France, car fully loaded slammed to the floor, kids, toys, roof box the lot and I was impressed i averaged 42mpg. The diesel was perfect for that, no bother fully loaded. Would of wanted a petrol going through the Swiss alps though!

Reactions: Ginge247
On those miles it’s petrol all the way. I have a tuned 3.0 tdi 272 running 355 bhp and love it. However I do 600-700 miles a week. If I done less than 15k a year I’d definitely go petrol. Right now if my job changed I would either go for a BMW M340i or a petrol S4, possible a RS4.

Has yours got any other mods apart from the remap? What's it like? You mentioned BMW, and now I'm considering 3 series too. Quattro, Xdrive or RWD?