looking to trade s3 for s5 cabriolet....thoughts?

rag top roof pain to clean, open to thefs, i wouldnt

I looked at A5s (dervs) when I got out of my S3. They are suberbly finished, drive nice, and with the right engine ie big 30tdi or one of the powerful petrol lumps a great proposition.

The thing that ultimately put me off was having such a large car yet no real space or practicality benefit over a 3 door S3. The A5 coupes are not that big in the back for a car that size and you still have the carry on of moving the front seats forward for rear access.

IMO if I am lugging around a big car then I want the space and ease of ownership to go with it. Unless of course you are going for high end stuff such as Astons etc and then I guess you have the budget for more than one car anyway.
As far as softops are concerned, I always think they look nice (mostly) but wouldnt want to own and drive one. I feel that a big AUDI with the roof off is a bit shouty and vulgar. Unless its an R8 Spider. IMO of course.

I would be looking at an S4 to replace the S3. Or a 335d/335i.

Good luck

Paul

Problem with it is its not very quick (a stage 1 S3 will post a faster 0-60 time) and it will not give good MPG returns, will be more expensive to service and most likely more to insure.

I looked at the recently (you can pick them up for £20k with great specs and low mileage) but couldnt justify them. Same reason i wouldnt get another R32, the cost of running them in comparison to the performance isnt enough to warrant a purchase imo

Reactions: RedDejavu
A mate of mine just got an S5 Cab and I have to say it feels twice as fast when the roof is down! Really good fun all round so if you live in a decent area, and so don't have to worry about theft, go for it matey!

V8 = MASSIVE Win! Get a Milltek on her and drop that top... or just get a coupe and open the windows.

Cabriolet and Sportback S5 are both 3.0 TFSI (supercharged not turbo)
The coupe is the V8 however the all the new S5s being launch and arriving in late December early January are all 3.0 supercharged but give 34 mpg return and 4.9 0-60 for the coupe.

as Paul said. (hes always right!)

S4 or 335 are best options for you.

Maybe its just me but I think these look old hat now.:think:

They are old, but still good. Probably the best looking Audi, and one of the best driving too (or so I hear, haven't had a proper go in one). You can even get the cabrio if you want, but I wouldn't.

Oddest thing with the A5 is they look crap in pictures. I find myself looking at them on pistonheads and get bored of them. I see them on the road and head straight back to pistonheads as they look stunning?! Vicious circle

No point having a rag top in Glasgow. We get about 7 dry days a year and have used this years supply up already. Also expect neds to spit or throw things into the car when you are stopped at traffic lights.

No point having a rag top in Glasgow. We get about 7 dry days a year and have used this years supply up already. Also expect neds to spit or throw things into the car when you are stopped at traffic lights.

I would rip their lips off and throw them at their parents if they spat at my car.

I still just think the B7 RS4 is a nice all rounder. The interior is a little dated now, i.e. Dash. Just a shame its a let down in the performance department, but Luke went out in a 600bhp charged one last night and he was loving it :laugh: :wub:

Decide if you want a BIG car with four seats.
Decide if you want a BIG boot.
Decide how important peer group admiration and status is to you.
Decide if ultimate performance is important and how relevant it is to your everyday driving on the roads you use.
Decide how important the need for fresh air ie convertible.

I chose an A3 cab rather than an A5 cab. because:
1. I did not need a 4 seater car.
2. I did not need a big boot.
3. The 2 litre petrol engine has all the power I need, and I have nothing to prove to other people.
4. The A3 has ample interior space and in S-line trim is well equipped.
5. The A3 has more than enough interior space (neither my partner or self are fat).
6. To my eyes the A3 is a neat understated timeless design that does not shriek "look at me I can afford a big bloated convertible".
7. It's not a BMW so there is no stigma attached to the brand.

I still just think the B7 RS4 is a nice all rounder. The interior is a little dated now, i.e. Dash. Just a shame its a let down in the performance department, but Luke went out in a 600bhp charged one last night and he was loving it :laugh: :wub:

Just to clarify I didn't go out in it, I did hear the noise it made tho and OMG it was the best sound I've ever heard!!! I will hopefully be going out in it in a few weeks tho :)

A let down in the performance department? I'm not saying you are wrong N8 but I have to say it's one of the best cars I've been in when driven by someone that knows what they are doing (ie. not me). I agree that the interior is a bit dated but it's by no means a bad place to be. A few months after being in the RS4 I was in a V8 R8 and was expecting big things but felt a bit deflated by the experience, perhaps the super car status got my hopes up. The V8 sounded better in the RS4 and it felt quicker. I know it wasn't but sensation of speed is a funny thing. The only cars that have impressed as much on me have been a V10 R8, GT3 RS and a E46 M3 CSL. Out of those the RS4 is probably the only one that could be lived with on a daily basis.

I have made things easier for you.

Let this be the deciding factor.
:wub:

:uhm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I consider it to be a let down in the performance department as so does my friend who now owns one coming from a B5 RS4. And sorry Luke I meant Jules :laugh:

Problem is though with noise comes trips to the petrol station. I loved the R32, wasn't the fastest, didnt have the best interior, wasn't the prettiest, isnt the best made but the noise made any flaw melt away. I can honestly perfectly remember it drive away, the noise makes me want another. I just cannot justify it. I was lucky to own one, run it doing low miles and sell it for a profit....very lucky in fact.

I loved that car, i dont love the S3, but the S3 is much more sensible on costs, is quicker, better made, nicer inside, nicer to look at; it will never sound like the V6 roar though!

If i could afford an S5 or RS4, i would pocket the excess and buy another R32. I advise the OP to try one, have ago in the A3 if you want but its not as sporty and doesnt give you that 'special feeling', my opinion but its usually backed up ;)

Oh, if we're playing the sound game then turn your speakers. This bird cannae drive for **** but if heaven had a sound it would be the V8 with the Tubi exhaust. The good thing is that you could sell your ipod, the stereo and all your old CDs to fund some petrol if your car sounded like this.

Audi RS4 with Tubi 2 - YouTube

To be fair to the S3 in the sound stakes, you need to compare the sound of the turbo spooling up on a cool day - not just the static tailpipe noise!

i say buy it i drove a 3.0tdiQ s-line cab last year i had to pick it up for my work and loved driving it so i bet the S5 is even better do it or you will regret it later on

All I can say is a work colleague dropped an am v8 paddle (long story) for an s5 cab dsg and really hated it the box was the main problem changing right up the box every time he lifted. He dumped it after 8 weeks and is in a 997 cab. Get the V8 hard top or forget it.

S5 looks the nuts IMO. Rs4 is always a good option if fuel bills arent too much of a problem. As Paul had also said 335i would be a consideration too.

Not at all. Fresh air and a sense of fun for which you cannot be taxed, a rarity in this day and age

This weekend alone proves that a cab in Scotland is ****** pointless. The rest of the country is celebrating the warmest days in October EVER! while here in Scotland the rain is ******* down so hard that it's bouncing 4ft in the air off the pavement.

Audi A5 Coupe is the way forward. You can't expect to pay that sort of money and get a soft top!. I would consider a M3 CSL/RS4/ or a new shape 335I coupe :)