Looking to purchase an a3 black edition, but need some help

winrya

Reaction score
Hello all, I've just recently sold my beloved mk5 golf gti I've owned since 2006 and have eyed up the a3 black edition 2.0 tdi sportback as a possible replacement.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few questions?

I know from the mk5 forums the older pd diesels 140 had turbo issues and 170 has injector problems and that the new 140 and 170 cr diesels are the ones to look for. From what year do a3's have these engines? Are they in all the facelift cars or did they arrive afterwards?

I've spotted a nice early 2010 black edition 140 but it has £125 a year tax instead of the £30 of the later cars. Is this a different engine (pd) or just the stop start versions. If they are the same engine, are the fuel consumption figures really so different? 55mpg vs 65mpg?

I'm more drawn towards the 170 version but feeling a bit more sensible maybe the lower power version will be fine and is it much better on fuel?

Do these newer cr engines suffer any big failures or are they more reliable?

Always fancied the dsg box on the gti but reliability has always put me off. Are there many issues on here with the s tronic boxes now they've been out a good while?

I had the touch screen rns 510 in the gti, can I retrofit the audi equivalent? If so, how much do they cost and how difficult is the installation?

Lastly, anyone come from a mk5 gti? I know they are similar car so I'm assuming the a3 drives just as well but i'd appreciate some direct comparisons if anyone has been in the same boat?

Many Thanks,

Ryan

Certain pd's had injector recalls, 170's the dpf issues but easily rectified with removal or just better driving.

2010 BE is a nice car, with dpf iirc, but generally a good car.

Stronic boxes are good imho if you consider the number in the wind, the newer boxes are more reliable, although the older dsg's wernt exactly bad either.

The A3's have the rns-e, mk2 is best, not as good as the rns510 as no touch screen, but it works well just the same.

We can supply/fit any missing oem technology including rns-e's if interested :)