Looking to own

W

Wifeb4Life

Hi i'm looking to own a A7 tfsi sportback and i'm doing some research on the forum but i have some questions.

One of the reasons I have been forced to stop looking at getting a Jaguar XFR as the tax is too much at £505 a year, however i can get full insurance with my tuning box fitted to it for me and my partner for just over £700. When ive just looked at getting the same insurance on the a7 its just over £1100!?! Thats more than i pay to insure both of my current cars and actually makes the a7 more each year for tax and insurance combined.

1. Why is the A7 so expensive to insure? Does it have alot of expensive faults that have become common? I actually get the a slightly cheaper quote if i change it to a RS7!?! I will be phoning my current provider directly to see if they can do alot better before buying but jees ive never seen it so high.

2. What is standard on a 2012 version?

3. Is automatic lights, wipers, dimming mirror and folding mirrors all standard?

4. Is the A7 sportback always a 4 seater? (I'd prefere a 4 seater)

5. Should i not concider an a7 if no reverse camera is included as i've seen its highly recomended?

Thanks

Ill try and give you my views in the order you asked the questions.

1. There is a lot of aluminium on the A7 chassis, so the chances of bodywork damage are partly the reason. Its also still quite a rare car in the wild. I have no idea why the RS7 worked out cheaper

2. Your better off googling the 2012 A7 for the standard build spec, depending on what level of car your looking at. SE, S-Line, Quattro etc.

3. Wipers yes. Auto lights depending on spec level. Dimming and folding mirrors are options, not standard.

4. A7 is always a 5 seater. S/RS are 4 seaters.

5. Recommended, but can always be retro fitted.

Our A7 costs £330 to insure and free tax first year.
Our XF costs £405 to insure and £140 tax
The A7 is a 3.0D Ultra and the XF is a 2.2D
You should definitely do some more work on the insurance. Ours started at £495...

Not sure, I thought all A7 s are 5 seater. S/RS are 4

The pre-facelift A5 Sportbacks were 4 seaters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far, went for a test drive of a '14 A7 it was a cat D on the rear passengers corner but apart from a scuff on the tail pipe when yku looked close it had been quite professionally repaired and you wouldn't have noticed. If i could have got an amazing deal on it, could have been a possiblity but I've never bought a cat D (or any accident car before) and it would have depended on how my insurrance would have took it.

The car drove amazing and the bitdi is an amazing engine with hardly any lag and masses ammount of constant punch. I couldnt believe how fast it went when i was at 15mph and put my foot down for no more than 1&1/2 seconds and the heads up display was reading 48mph.

Really did almost seem worth it with only 38000 miles, air suspension was so comfy, Sun roof, HUD and although it didnt have the reverse camera i think the parking assist plus is more than enough for the lack of visibility. Its such a beatiful car the A7.

One thing though, ive seen you can get the satnav to show on your dash between the dials but couldnt figure out how to do it? It was nice to see the distances and direction of your next action in the HUD though.

Thanks

I'm not sure the A7 you tested would have the satnav between the dials. This only appeared on the late 2015 (facelift) model onwards.

You can't add it as an aftermarket either.

Oh right i thought i read it was on that car but to be honest i'm still new. It's killing me to concider paying for an RAC inspection on that car as it was still just an amazing offer, brilliantly spec'd.

What do you'se think? 14 reg, 38000 miles £19k, cat D but i get £15k for trading in both of my cars, would you concider it?

TBH, my biggest concern would be resale value once you decide to move it on. Cat D will be with with the car forever, and while traders may take it, most private buyers won't touch it, unless the price is very (very) attractive.

Having said that, with a proper certified repair, that price is very attractive. An RAC inspection would give you piece of mind over the Cat D repair.

Thanks, thats the thing i plan on keeping this car now for the next 8-10 years while we sort out families and a bigger home eventually.

Thats why for me I'm not too bothered about resale value as its currently a £10k saving on all the other A7's of the same age and milleage and in even 8 years time the difference between the car whether it had or hadn't been recorded as a cat D is not going to make more than 3k difference.

So i'm still making a saving however the inspection would be vital as its making sure it's not going to be a expensive troublesome 8-10 years with it.

If your comfortable with it being Cat D, and you like the car, and not too bothered about depreciation, then ld go for it. You certainly won't find a cheaper A7 in the UK at that mileage. Is it a trade sale? If so ld still go for the RAC (or AA) full inspection so that you can be sure the Cat D repair is solid, and use the cost of the inspection to see if you can discount a bit more - no harm in trying!

Have you checked out insurance costs yet?

Good luck with the purchase.

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Thanks Dan i have had insurance with yourself in the past so will definetly concider you thanks, whats your oppinions and advice on concidering a cat D?

Thanks

Thanks Dan i have had insurance with yourself in the past so will definetly concider you thanks, whats your oppinions and advice on concidering a cat D?

Thanks

Hi,

The majority of our schemes have no issues with category C or D written off vehicles.

Kind Regards
Dan