Looking to do my own remap??!!!

geoffersmaher

Reaction score
Hi guys I always like to try these things myself as its the only way you learn ,
So through a friend Id made when I did a mechanics course I managed to get a copy of vagcom, just waiting on a laptop now as I'm a mac man.
The otherreason I want to learn how to use it is id like to add the lbc abs cruise control which I've seen folk do.
but I was wondering about a couple of things , the first being which cable as this seems like a mine field and also re map files.

Audi A4, A6 Remap File 1.9 TDI 130BHP to 165BHP Tuned File VW | eBay

Like this one, is it a good map? I've seen ones that offer more power etc and also I'm looking at future mods inc exhausts front mount turbo etc so how easy will it be to use a re map with those?

sorry for the silly questions, I've done a bit of hunting and it's all confusing If Im honest, so flame away if necessary

you will need a licensed cable and software to perform most of the bits you want.
As for the remap ,get it done by a reputable company.

Alot of maps you can buy is just rewritten software on a laptop which any muppet can do and fugg it up big time.
Only ever use DYNO tested maps as these are done on the car via a rolling road etc. These are the maps I use and have never had one back with a fault that was caused by remapping

VCDS/vagcom will not remap a car, dont mess with things you dont have tools for as maps can basically disable the car completely, be warned.

VCDS/vagcom will not remap a car, dont mess with things you dont have tools for as maps can basically disable the car completely, be warned.
+1 I tried and failed see this: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/163943-oops-broke-my-ecu.html

Luckley the lad who helped me through it, sent my ecu back to me with a safe map (203bhp according to logs).

Don't get me wrong it can be done, but inexperience will most likeley goose your ecu and you might not have the luck I had.

Its not vagcom (VCDS) that does the mapping either its another program, and you have to use a cable with an FDTI chip in it.

Cjsuk can I ask who helped?

After having a look at the black smoke site I think this is one I may steer clear of, more research is needed me thinks

Thanks for all the help so far guys

The chap did only give me a copy of vag com, from what I can tell he's given me the wrong thing anyway so I wont be doing owt with it, maybe fitting cruise control and full obc. Would you rather I download it off a torrent site along with some illegal maps etc etc or borrow a copy of a friend who is a mechanic???? It's software lent between friends that is all, no need to be prudent about it.

Cjsuk can I ask who helped?

After having a look at the black smoke site I think this is one I may steer clear of, more research is needed me thinks

Thanks for all the help so far guys
Ill get in touch with him and ask mate :)

Be careful, any damage you inadvertently cause could end up costing more than a basic remap, the tools aren't cheap for starters, and unless you have expertise and a clear understanding as to what you are doing (and what effect altering the parameters will have on other inputs), there is a risk of causing further engine / component damage which may also outweigh the cost of a basic remap. Tread with caution!

The chap did only give me a copy of vag com, from what I can tell he's given me the wrong thing anyway so I wont be doing owt with it, maybe fitting cruise control and full obc. Would you rather I download it off a torrent site along with some illegal maps etc etc or borrow a copy of a friend who is a mechanic???? It's software lent between friends that is all, no need to be prudent about it.

You misunderstand me.

The cable equipment to remap costs thousands of pounds. If you haven't got this, then the only way of doing it is to use a non genuine pirated cable.

Thanks, Rick

Be careful, any damage you inadvertently cause could end up costing more than a basic remap, the tools aren't cheap for starters, and unless you have expertise and a clear understanding as to what you are doing (and what effect altering the parameters will have on other inputs), there is a risk of causing further engine / component damage which may also outweigh the cost of a basic remap. Tread with caution!

thanks warren, this is why i asked :) it sounds far too complex for me to actually do with the limited experience i have with this sort of thing. that and all the stuff i dont have and needs thank you for the advice think ill kjust spend the 200 odd on a re map

The chap did only give me a copy of vag com, from what I can tell he's given me the wrong thing anyway so I wont be doing owt with it, or borrow a copy of a friend who is a mechanic???? It's software lent between friends that is all, no need to be prudent about it.

With respect, there's no such thing as a copy of vagcom in genuine terms, as the license is in the genuine cables & the software is free to download & use with such, so why he has given you a copy defies logic unless he has given you a counterfeit cable aswell, also there is no such thing as software lent between friends when comes to vagcom as again its the cable that does the authentication & its free to download.

Also software lent between friends when comes to licensing from many software vendors, unless is used on the same pc goes against the license purchased.

So on one hand its more than likely the mapping software/cable are counterfeited & other hand vcds aka vagcom is also possibly the same, both of which you would be stupid to even consider using on your car IMHO.

Also, its not about being prudent, so I think thats an unfair comment, its about giving you sound protective advise using fake tools on your working car, if it goes tits up then you'll be back on here or another forum complaining & then asking how to fix it, common sense prevails, ok you want to learn, but learn sensibly, not at a huge cost of cocking it all up.

This is posted as friendly, not to cause friction, so please dont take it as such Geoff :)

Reactions: Usman786
You misunderstand me.

The cable equipment to remap costs thousands of pounds. If you haven't got this, then the only way of doing it is to use a non genuine pirated cable.

Thanks, Rick

thanks for the info rick, i did not know this and nor did my mate at the garage either, they specialized in ford stuff mainly 60's and 70's but he had a copy kicking about

this is why i joind the forum for its wealth of info from knowledgeable folks :cool:

With respect, there's no such thing as a copy of vagcom in genuine terms, as the license is in the genuine cables & the software is free to download & use with such, so why he has given you a copy defies logic unless he has given you a counterfeit cable aswell, also there is no such thing as software lent between friends when comes to vagcom as again its the cable that does the authentication & its free to download.

Also software lent between friends when comes to licensing from many software vendors, unless is used on the same pc goes against the license purchased.

So on one hand its more than likely the mapping software/cable are counterfeited & other hand vcds aka vagcom is also possibly the same, both of which you would be stupid to even consider using on your car IMHO.

Also, its not about being prudent, so I think that's an unfair comment, its about giving you sound protective advise using fake tools on your working car, if it goes tits up then you'll be back on here or another forum complaining & then asking how to fix it, common sense prevails, ok you want to learn, but learn sensibly, not at a huge cost of cocking it all up.

This is posted as friendly, not to cause friction, so please don't take it as such Geoff :)

i certainly dont take it in any bad way , and im here for all the help i can, like i say i try to take my hand to whatever i can including body work fitting coil overs all servicing etc etc so i always like to have a go.
and again like i say my friend had a cd lying around his work shop so i thought id look into it.
i didn't realize it would need cables with signatures etc etc as my only experience of obd is the Bluetooth adapter i have stuck int my obd port on the audi and the torque app i have on my android phone.

like i say im hear to lean so i can only thank you guys for the help :sm4: