SQ5 Looking to buy SQ5 Bitdi

Ryan Wright

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have recently found my self looking at the Audi SQ5 i have previously had BMW 335d witth the zf8 box so know how good they are too just a few questions. . . .

Any Common Faults to ensure have been done prior to buying?
Any common faults that seem they all eventually have?
Any must have in the spec?

Looking at prices up to around 20k ish maybe a bit more so would be 2013/2014/2015

Thanks
Ryan

Buying an Audi used - full Audi dealer service history is important.

Hi Everyone

I have recently found my self looking at the Audi SQ5 i have previously had BMW 335d witth the zf8 box so know how good they are too just a few questions. . . .

Any Common Faults to ensure have been done prior to buying?
Any common faults that seem they all eventually have?
Any must have in the spec?

Looking at prices up to around 20k ish maybe a bit more so would be 2013/2014/2015

Thanks
Ryan

SUPERB machine, love ours, does everything, see: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/

Only problem we find with our SQ5 is that we occasionally have to take our RS3 and TT out just to blow off the accumulated dust

PM me with your email address if you need a Pricing and Specification Guide:

Q5 SQ5 SQ5 PLUS SALES Brochure 2015

Reactions: SteveMcB
If it's got a sunroof check that it's had that specific service and that it doesn't rattle. Touch wood mine has been rattle free ( it's only been opened about twice!!!) but it's quite a common and annoying problem.
I'd try to get one with piano black or carbon atlas interior trim, the aluminium is easily dented. Reverse camera, folding mirrors (they're massive) and BnO stereo are nice to have as well, 'Connect' not really worth having now that they've dropped satellite overlay on the maps.
No inherent faults that I'm aware of, really good cars.

Reactions: 45bvtc
, 'Connect' not really worth having now that they've dropped satellite overlay on the maps.

Are you sure about this? Is this Q5 specific? Did you know when the initial three years is up 'Connect' can be re-enabled by an Audi dealer so you get the real time traffic data (priceless if you use motorways) and the Google map overlays - I won't buy an Audi without it. The re-enablement is free..

I have a July 2013 Q5/SQ5 Brochure in PDF format - PM me with an email address and I can forward it.

If it's got a sunroof check that it's had that specific service and that it doesn't rattle. Touch wood mine has been rattle free ( it's only been opened about twice!!!) but it's quite a common and annoying problem.
I'd try to get one with piano black or carbon atlas interior trim, the aluminium is easily dented. Reverse camera, folding mirrors (they're massive) and BnO stereo are nice to have as well, 'Connect' not really worth having now that they've dropped satellite overlay on the maps.
No inherent faults that I'm aware of, really good cars.

My panoroof's up-and-down and in-and-out all the time Steve and zero rattles. Had the roof serviced with the rest if the car straight after purchase - and the whole machine has been perfect ever since.

Last edited:
Are you sure about this? Is this Q5 specific? Did you know when the initial three years is up 'Connect' can be re-enabled by an Audi dealer so you get the real time traffic data (priceless if you use motorways) and the Google map overlays - I won't buy an Audi without it. The re-enablement is free..

I have a July 2013 Q5/SQ5 Brochure in PDF format - PM me with an email address and I can forward it.

AFAIK Audi are dropping the Google satellite overlay function from all (pre 2019?) models. I think there maybe a dealer fix for some slightly older cars but the Connect system in mine is even earlier, it wasn't a free embedded card, I had to buy a data sim card and change it every year.
The only reason I specced Connect at about £350 was to get the overlay so I'm not too chuffed that it's going to be dropped in the New Year.
That's my understanding but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Well my previous 8URSQ3 had Connect re enabled a a couple of months ago, you may well be right however, there are software licences involved for Connect and the map tiles (Bluesky/InfoTerra), its an ongoing cost for Audi.

Back home now (hospital) so I can add detail: Steve, a very-local and oh so similar SQ5 to mine colour/year/etc., had 'the panoroof rattles' and I had him coat the rubber seals along the front/rear joining edge with Technicqll silicone grease #2206 (see: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNICQ...EMBLY-BRAKE-DISCS-BLOCKS-GASKET-/292065366605) and that solved his problem straight away - and remains properly sorted. :thumbs up:

PS: We think our SQ5 is the best car we've ever had, just does everything! :racer:

Reactions: paul wev
You can get an extension to the connect services for free from Audi customer services ( I don't think they've worked out how to charge for it tbh)
The issue is with Google not being compatible with the earlier platform and at some time in the near future the overlay will stop working.
You will still get the online traffic and so its worth it for that alone and you also get access to some near useless online info but its a basic system compared to the newer cars.
Had ours for nearly 2 years before changing to an 8U RSQ3....the SQ5 was great.....the RSQ3 is epic

My panoroof's up-and-down and in-and-out all the time Steve and zero rattles, had the roof serviced with the rest if the car straight after purchase - and the whole machine has been perfect ever since.

That's good news.

Rant warning :-

When I dropped the car off for its first service I was cheerfully offered the 'new sunroof service', excellent news me thinks but then the bombshell, it's an extra £185 +VAT!!! WTF, I was already feeling very tender after getting bent over for £400 to let a spotty youth change the oil, so politely declined.

They then solemnly told me that any future sunroof rattles wouldn't be covered unless I had it done. Now I thought that was a bit off, I'd specifically asked about this well known issue when I ordered the car (rattles drive me crazy so I hummed and hawed about getting the sunroof) but the salesman assured me rattles would be covered under warranty.

Now, this extra service wasn't even a thing back then, I'm guessing Audi initially thought a £1300 option should probably work properly or be replaced but then changed their minds when the bills started mounting up.

Maybe I'm overly cynical but IMO this extra £200+ greasing was only introduced to avoid warranty work or to offset their costs repairing/replacing roofs.

Touch wood it's still OK but I never use it, ideally a fixed glass panel would have been my choice.

Rant over. It's still a great car :)

Back home now (hospital) so I can add detail: Steve, a very-local and oh so similar SQ5 to mine colour/year/etc., had 'the panoroof rattles' and I had him coat the rubber seals along the front/rear joining edge with Technicqll silicone grease #2206 (see: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNICQ...EMBLY-BRAKE-DISCS-BLOCKS-GASKET-/292065366605) and that solved his problem straight away - and remains properly sorted. :thumbs up:

PS: We think our SQ5 is the best car we've ever had, just does everything! :racer:

Good to know, I'll add that to my Xmas list, no doubt the rattles will come eventually :)

Good to know, I'll add that to my Xmas list, no doubt the rattles will come eventually :)

Sorted a few panoroof rattles now Steve, no worries

Great car the SQ5 but for sure I couldn't wouldn't stand for the panoroof rattles. Otherwise, given the choice of the cars we have the SQ5 is our carriage of choice everytime. And yes I do look at other machines, getting to old in the tooth now to worry about the £s and desperate to get it spent before I go and have to hand it to others to spend, but I'm struggling to find a better 'fun' alternative. For sure an SQ5 should not perform like this especially with a closing on 76-year old at the controls but I just find it mega fun, fun, fun.
:racer:

Ok, our RS3 is a menace, and with me in it I'll say no more. :whip:

As for our TT we love it, a lovely drive and surprisingly quick at times.

But the SQ5 is mega chuckable and more so with this 034 ARB and for sure I'll be wearing out these damn paddles soon. But if you are an engine/stick gear/driver this machine is a hell of a lot of FUN! :thumbs up:

OK, so I was looking at RS6/7 before getting the SQ5 but as with a Sierra Cosworth many years back the outrageous speedo readings were oh so academic - like 120mph on a 'B' road in an RS7 just wasn't a challenge, boring even after you realisre the ease at which such road speeds can be accomplished.

The SQ5 is more of a driver-challenge and provides ALL of that fun our RS3 so easily dismisses with ease - we like it :thumbs up: But each to there own, what suits one don't suit all...

Just thinking out loud here...

As for Ryan Wright, he shouldn't have started this, emotional motoring stuff that it is...
4221.gif

Here's where we, well you younger guys anyway, are going:
V = IxR enjoy...

Last edited:
You can get an extension to the connect services for free from Audi customer services ( I don't think they've worked out how to charge for it tbh)
The issue is with Google not being compatible with the earlier platform and at some time in the near future the overlay will stop working.
You will still get the online traffic and so its worth it for that alone and you also get access to some near useless online info but its a basic system compared to the newer cars.
Had ours for nearly 2 years before changing to an 8U RSQ3....the SQ5 was great.....the RSQ3 is epic

Thanks Ju - the map overlays are just nice to have, if the Connect traffic data remains then that's the crucial bit. Glad you are enjoying the RSQ3 - I wasn't overstating just what a great car it is own was I? Audi's best kept secret.

Reactions: -Ju-
Thanks Ju - the map overlays are just nice to have, if the Connect traffic data remains then that's the crucial bit. Glad you are enjoying the RSQ3 - I wasn't overstating just what a great car it is own was I? Audi's best kept secret.
You'll be ok John with the overlays on your little beastie as its just 2017 and before I believe.
I'll never knock the SQ5 as its a truly great car for what it is, made me giggle many a time with its rapid pace for such a heavy car.
The RSQ3 is much more focused. Its more nimble and exciting to drive, every journey feels like a sense of occasion........or is that the green paint lol

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: cosmicblue and NevMan
Ju, Is the RSQ3 faster than the SQ5 ??? (I know my answer) Id like yours {LoL}

In a word....YES......sounds glorious too on full throttle!
Its very different though as it needs to be provoked whereas the SQ5 has bags of low down torque making it feel initially quick

Reactions: alanyork
New you would like it, Our performance models are quicker than the new RSQ3,s Too,