Looking to buy an S4

AndyT_uk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking into buying an S4, preferably the 4.2l version around a 03-04 plate model. I should have around the 12-13k mark to spend once the sale of my Mondeo ST220 goes through but I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I should look out for when going to visit these cars?

I've seen a red S4 listed on PH recently for £13.5k, 48k miles (FSH), full milltek exhaust and RS4 alloys. Seems to be in decent condition but I was just wondering if the price seemed correct to you guys at all?

Also, if anyone has any details of the typical prices they pay for tyres/pads/service etc and also what kinda mileage they get per tank then that'd be great as well.

Cheers! :icon_thumright:

Andy

:sign_welcome: Andy,

I recently bought an 03 S4 and from my experiance check for a slapping grinding noise on start up http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?91384-My-Current-S4-Woes
as its an engine out job to change the tensioners it can be quite expensive.

Tyres probably about £130 to £160 a corner but guess it depends on what size wheels the rs4's are and what brand you go for. Going through the receipts that came with my car there was a service and front discs and pads change and the bill came to around £1000... as for milage per tank in the week I was driving mine I was getting maybe 15-21mpg but then as the car was new to me my right foot may have been a tad heavy, but I didn't notice much difference between the S4 and my old A4 2.8 as to how much I would get out of a tank of fuel. But then If i was worried about fuel economy I would have got a diesel...

I bought a 53 plate S4 a couple of weeks ago and I've been averaging 25 MPG since I got it (I've done a couple of hundred miles so far).

£13.5k is what I paid for mine: silver saloon, 41k miles, Milltek catback, cats and remap.

It had 4 Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics fitted not long before I bought it and that cost £550 including fitting and disposal of the old tyres.

Just to give an idea, I recently had my front discs and pads changed on my S4 cabriolet at my local main dealer for £400 but I'm sure you can get them done a lot cheaper elsewhere. Good Luck.

Just to give an idea, I recently had my front discs and pads changed on my S4 cabriolet at my local main dealer for £400 but I'm sure you can get them done a lot cheaper elsewhere. Good Luck.
That's less than it cost me for a new set of front pads and discs on my old Golf R32. Nice one. :)

I get 16-25 mpg, depending on how I drive or the type of journey (constant stop/start in urban areas is punishing).

Cruise in 6th gear you'll see 40+ mpg, hammer it and it's low single figures.

Tank gets 250-300 miles. It's a decent size tank so V-Power costs around £70 at the moment (I don't like that!).

cheers guys.

After looking at S4's on and off for the last 15 months or so, I have taken the plunge and am picking up the new car tomorrow. Link here of the car on PH. Went to see it last week and it was absolutely stunning and immaculate inside and out. Few stone chips on the front to sort out but i've a decent body shop guy nearby but you can't even notice those without looking closely.

Managed to get a bit off the price as well so with the sale of the ST220 I should be looking at a nice upgrade :)

thats a good looking motor andyt :icon_thumright:

cheers,

not totally sold on the plate but it may be worth something so may be able to sell it on. Going to get a couple quotes for it tomorrow i think

Nice one Andy, looks great, Milltek aswell. You are gonna love driving it, they are fantastic cars.

That's a very nice car andy!! Do all the B6 S4's have a multicolour DIS? I thought it was only B7 models which did. Let us know what it's like when you pick it up, bet you're rather excited.

That's a very nice car andy!! Do all the B6 S4's have a multicolour DIS? I thought it was only B7 models which did. Let us know what it's like when you pick it up, bet you're rather excited.

excited is a slight understatement :D agreed to buy it last thursday but because of work and being away the weekend its only today that I've been able to arrange picking it up! Sad as it sounds but I've not had a lot of sleep recently thinking about it :)

shall get some new pics taken soon, I guess there's some kind of garages section on this forum?

You will absolutely love it mate. I drove mine into work this morning and even in stop-start traffic it's a joy to drive. Enjoy. :icon_thumright:

not totally sold on the plate but it may be worth something so may be able to sell it on. Going to get a couple quotes for it tomorrow i think
Mine came with private S4 plates which I'm selling on ASAP. Don't like private plates at all but I've had a decent offer on them so it's all good. :)

They do indeed.

I never knew that! I always just thought it was a B7 thing.

As for not getting a lot of sleep, I was the same about getting mine back after my wife crashed it a few weeks ago, and it's only the 1.9TDI, haha! Looking forward to the pics.

I never knew that! I always just thought it was a B7 thing.
My B6 has the multicoloured DIS. I know because I was watching it heading towards single figure MPG on the drive in this morning. :)

You will absolutely love it mate. I drove mine into work this morning and even in stop-start traffic it's a joy to drive. Enjoy. :icon_thumright:

Mine came with private S4 plates which I'm selling on ASAP. Don't like private plates at all but I've had a decent offer on them so it's all good. :)

Out of interest, where'd you sell the plates and how much does it cost to transfer them back to the originals? I'm still not decided on them yet but I may chuck them up on eBay for a highish price and see if anyone goes for it.

That is a lovely looking S4, hope you enjoy ownership,

When do you collect it?

Out of interest, where'd you sell the plates and how much does it cost to transfer them back to the originals? I'm still not decided on them yet but I may chuck them up on eBay for a highish price and see if anyone goes for it.
Haven't sold them yet (I was waiting until I'd renewed the tax and MOT which is happening today) but I got online quotes from a few different companies (regtransfers, motormarks, selectnumberplates, carreg) and picked the best one. They all charge commission but the buyer will pay the £80 transfer fee and I don't have to pay to keep it on retention (£25 for 12 months), which works out about the same as if I put it on retention and sold it myself but it's a lot less hassle for me. :)

I got this from the company that's selling mine:
On finding a purchaser we will prepare and advise on the transfer application. Your vehicle will automatically be issued another registration number relevant to its year, and your tax disk and M.O.T. certificate will be amended by the Vehicle Registration Office without charge to you. The £80.00 transfer fee is payable by the purchaser. Please note that provided the vehicle is roadworthy it can be driven on the road throughout the transfer period.

Last edited:
That is a lovely looking S4, hope you enjoy ownership,

When do you collect it?

Well I picked it up earlier this afternoon, had a load of hassle from the bank and transferring the funds over but finally got there and have been playing all afternoon :)

Must say its an absolute beast, I thought the ST220 was rapid but I'm sure this would make it look as if it were standing still! I can definitely recommend the milltek system as well, sounds sweet and can be loud if you give it a blip or two! ;)

Well I picked it up earlier this afternoon, had a load of hassle from the bank and transferring the funds over but finally got there and have been playing all afternoon :)

Must say its an absolute beast, I thought the ST220 was rapid but I'm sure this would make it look as if it were standing still! I can definitely recommend the milltek system as well, sounds sweet and can be loud if you give it a blip or two! ;)

Surely if you've been playing all afternoon you have gone through about 3 tanks of fuel then? :moa:

Glad you're enjoying it, and that the bank eventually transferred the money.

Despite seeing pics in the PH advert, we still need more pics when you get chance.

Surely if you've been playing all afternoon you have gone through about 3 tanks of fuel then? :moa:

Glad you're enjoying it, and that the bank eventually transferred the money.

Despite seeing pics in the PH advert, we still need more pics when you get chance.

I agree need more pics

lol, I'll get some pics this weekend! :) Off for a DB9 driving day on Sat so it'll have to wait till Sun I'm afraid!

Amazingly I'm still on the same tank of petrol although 3/4 of the way through and I've only done 170 miles :S eek

Few more pics as requested. I've got a video clip as well, just need to edit it and then I'll get it uploaded so you can hear the milltek goodness ;)

dsc01377x.jpg

dsc01376i.jpg

dsc01373j.jpg

dsc01387t.jpg

dsc01394q.jpg

Lovely example! They're certainly good looking cars, further proof that the S4 front is the best available for the A4 :)

Cheers for the pics. :)

I've got a video clip as well, just need to edit it and then I'll get it uploaded so you can hear the milltek goodness ;)
Looking forward to hearing this so I can compare it to the B7 Milltek I've got on mine.