1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy an S4

Mart838 Aug 6, 2018

1. Mart838

Mart838 Member Audi A4 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group

Hi there, I am looking to buy an S4, got a couple of questions.

I currently have an A4 cab with the 3.2 v6, would I be better off with a manual or auto box on the S4.

I drove a manual on Sunday and found the clutch bite was very low and the gear change was quite notchy is this normal as mine is really smooth.

Are there any other common issues I should be aware of.

Many thanks
    Mart.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Cerbera9

Cerbera9 Active Member

I would also drive a DSG and maybe another manual for comparison to see which you prefer. I like the DSG but not everyone does, comes down to personal choice.

Tashfeen likes this.
  4. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

What was the mileage? I don't follow forum threads about the B8 manual much, but I think I remember that the lifespan of the clutch is not great.

We believe (hope?) that the s-tronic S4s built from May 2013 on have reliable gearboxes. It is the 2009/10 models that get the most reports of s-tronic gearbox problems. Service is paramount - be wary of cars which missed their scheduled gearbox service.

Tashfeen likes this.
  5. Mart838

57000 with full audi service history and 2 owners from new.

6. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

I can't remember for sure, but that might be in the "window" for clutch wear, depending on how those drivers used/abused it.

7. xpoweruk

xpoweruk S4 B8 Smile Machine Team Ibis saloon Audi S4 quattro

low clutch biting point would more than likely be an issue with the hydraulics.
    The slave on the S4 is pretty weak & prone to issues,but as it is external it isn't a big job to change.
    The SACS mechanism should (in theory) keep the biting point in roughly the same place throughout the lifespan of the clutch

JG51 AUD and Sandra like this.
  8. Mart838

Thanks for your replies guys

9. weekenny

weekenny Active Member

I’ve owned both and either is a great choice, really is down to your own preference. Drive both and choose, the manual shouldn’t be notchy. DSG is faster down the drag strip of that’s your thing.