Looking to buy an s1 just after some advice

Jons1

Reaction score
Hi guys

I recently test drove a 3 door s1 and loved it and now ready to part with my cash! Just want some opinions/advice on what spec to get.

I'm sold on an audi s1 sportback in sepang blue and advanced key and the tech pack just wana get the best spec for my money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

I know others may disagree with me but I really think the two quattro packs make the car much more special. I personally wouldn't go without either: the interior has great seats and full leather, and the exterior stops it looking like 'just another A1'.

Reactions: shakey_hand_man, DTYME83 and Jons1
Good choice!
All down to personal choices but I went for flat bottomed steering wheel, sepang blue, privacy glass, Bose and external Quattro pack.
I've got dab and Bluetooth as standard don't think they were standard on early models.
Don't regret not getting anything else as you can go a bit silly.
Personally prefer 3 door to don't think a hot hatch should have 5 doors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,705
Reactions: AD & DK - Jones and Jons1
See my signature... thats what i went for.

Reactions: Jons1
Thanks for all your replies. I am tempted to stick on both interior and exterior styling packs along with the bose sound system. I just don't wana commit to anything and then relise Oh ****** I should have got that with my s1. Or is there any options that can be retro fitted after purchase?

I am actually tempted to get the heated seats added but unsure how often id realy use/need them 2bh.

Last edited:
Good choice!
All down to personal choices but I went for flat bottomed steering wheel, sepang blue, privacy glass, Bose and external Quattro pack.
I've got dab and Bluetooth as standard don't think they were standard on early models.
Don't regret not getting anything else as you can go a bit silly.
Personally prefer 3 door to don't think a hot hatch should have 5 doors.

Couldn't agree more, not sure why car manufactures make small cars and the insist on making then in 5 door. It just seems completely pointless
DTYME83

Don't have heated seats and half leather, when it was cold and frosty at the start of the year I had no issues with being to cold.

See my sig. I'm the other side of the fence and think the interior and exterior packs make the car look like a hot wheels model. Make sure you like the wheels in the pack as they are what cost the bucks.

I would have loved to have heated seats! flat bottom wheel is a must in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more, not sure why car manufactures make small cars and the insist on making then in 5 door. It just seems completely pointless
DTYME83

But then I wouldn't be in an S1 if it was 3 door only.
I have a small dog that goes in a carrier slung over the rear headrest. Damned if I'm messing about bent over clipping her in/out from the front door of a 3 door every time. Similar if you have kids with car seats, you want 5 doors!

3 doors do look/handle better I agree tho.

Reactions: MikeParkin
We have ordered 3door,
Sepang Blue,
Quattro Exterior pack,
S1 Flat bottomed steering wheel,
Privacy glass.

Our thinking was:

Sepang Blue:
We love Daytona Grey, but our current A1 S-line Black Edition is that colour so we fancied a change. We like colours that are only available on certain specs (I.E Daytona Grey was only available on S-Line models so we chose that for the A1). Sepang Blue is only available on S models so we went with that for S1.
Plus, it is a lovely looking colour!

Privacy glass:
A must (in my opinion), it really adds to the external presence and look of the car, and it was standard on our Black.Ed so didn't want to be taking a step backwards.

Quattro Exterior pack:
Really sets the car apart from a standard A1 S-Line. Bearing in mind that all S-Line models now get the Xenons as standard, it's nice to have the red elements in the exterior pack lights to set it apart.
The upgraded spoiler again adds to the whole look, it's just a shame the spoiler doesn't have the dip in the middle on the 3 door version (as it is not required, due to the 3 door having no roof aerial) as I think it looks even meaner!
Red calipers are always nice to have!
Quattro decals: am indifferent about these, but will be quite subtle anyway as the black decals on Sepang car are not too 'in your face!'
Wheels: In my opinion, the standard S alloys are a bit disappointing. Added to this is that the 18" Rotor alloys on our current Black Edition look amazing (in my opinion). The wheels that come with the exterior pack are not perfect, but a massive improvement over the standard alloys. I did toy with the idea of swapping the wheels and trading in the Black Ed with the standard S wheels on, and putting the Black Ed wheels on the S1, but decided against.

S1 flat bottomed steering wheel:
Unfortunately we don't have a money tree at the bottom of the garden and in an ideal world would have loved the Quattro Interior pack. However, we couldn't stretch to it so we thought the relatively small outlay for the S1 wheel is a nice touch, just to add something 'S' to the interior. Plus our test drive car had it on and it just felt great!

Something we haven't gone for and may live to regret is the Bose. The Black Ed has the Audi sound system in (it was standard on the Black Ed), so we may regret sticking with the standard set up on the S1. We will see :/
However, on the test drive we turned the radio off and just listened to the exhaust note, so maybe that's the answer.

So that is what we went for. Some will agree, some will disagree, but variety is the spice of life! It is all down to personal preference and as my dear old nan says "Wouldn't the world be a very boring place if we all liked the same things?!"

Reactions: Huwbert
I actually think the 5 door looks better. I don't need 5 doors at all (no kids or pets), but prefer it, and I think the spoiler on the 5 door is nicer (with the centre dip).

I use my heated seats frequently, even now it's warmer, just to take the chill out of the leather when it's been in my cold underground car park.

In term of unnecessary 'nice to have' items, the aluminium vents and gear stick I think both really add to the perceived interior quality, and are nice co-ordinations with the other styling elements in the car.

I don't have the Bose, I have the 'Audi Sound System', and I have to say that it is excellent: I often turn up my choons quite loud and not a hint of crackle etc.; and good deep base! The lights on the Bose system do look cool, though.

In terms of the styling pack, I completely disagree that they make it look like a hot wheels car: I think it makes it look more special, but it is tastefully done. I don't understand people's strong desire to make their car look less special / unique than it is...

Reactions: ChrisS1
Great choice - I think you'll love it! As you say - windows down, dynamic mode set and just listen to the exhaust - who needs the radio!!

Reactions: ChrisS1, coddy85 and DTYME83
In terms of the styling pack, I completely disagree that they make it look like a hot wheels car: I think it makes it look more special, but it is tastefully done. I don't understand people's strong desire to make their car look less special / unique than it is...

Each to their own, but I'm happy when more people take the Q pack as it will be my car that is more special and unique. I couldn't justify over a grand on a set of wheels and a spoiler when the Tech Pack was much more useful. I would have considered the Q pack without the wheels however, if it had been ~£400

Good choices on your specs, you can't go wrong with the Quattro packs. I have the stock 17's for winter use and they are just too plain for my liking. I couldn't wait to get the Quattro 18's on after winter.

For me the Bose is ok the LED lit speaker grills are a nice touch. But I had a Q5 before the S1 with the B&O system in it and it makes the Bose system sound like the regular Audi Systems comparably.

I am of to audi tomorrow to discuss a few variations.

As my local audi dealer have some s1's in stock of a similar spec that they can do me a deal on rather than having to wait for it to be built.

I will update with what they offer and if I go for it. :)

i also think that the 5 door sportback looks better on the s1 , in a golf upwards sized car id only have 3 door but think the 3 door a1/s1 looks too small
imo both quattro packs are a must along with as many extra s as you can afford !!

I don't think you need both Quattro packs. Mine has the interior one and updated alloys. Stick on the Quattro sticker and it looks good.

Got mine up for sale now and I don't think missing the rear spoiler will be a deal killer.

If specing from new would not go for exterior pack as don't rate wheels would go for some oz or abt with money saved .would have keyless entry and dipping mirror,folding mirrors.

Tbh, i can't see much point in the quattro packs. You get naff all for your money. The interior pack isn't too bad to look at to be fair, but the exterior pack isn't anything special, a **** spoiler, a couple of stickers on the side(and in the wrong place if you ask me!) and a bit of red flair, all for what, £1700 odd?

The exterior pack is £1245, the wheels alone are £650 if specced seperately.
Our opinion was that without the exterior pack and wheels, the standard S1 is a step backwards (in terms of prescence, obviously not performance) from our S-Line Black Edition.
Without the red elements in the lights you get the same lights as every new S-Line model out there. Without the Quattro pack spoiler you get the same spoiler as every new S-Line model.
But like I said before, each to their own!

Reactions: coddy85, S1Grant and Stuttgartrob
Our opinion was that without the exterior pack and wheels, the standard S1 is a step backwards (in terms of prescence, obviously not performance) from our S-Line Black Edition.
Without the red elements in the lights you get the same lights as every new S-Line model out there. Without the Quattro pack spoiler you get the same spoiler as every new S-Line model.
Agree totally!

Reactions: S1Grant and Stuttgartrob

Completely agree. But then the "S" models are supposed to go under the radar slightly, that's why I bought one. I don't want to be noticed until they are in my mirrors!

That's what i like about not having the quattro packs, it looks just like any other A1 S-Line, until you hit the loud pedal. Stealthy! Admittedly, each to their own, i just don't think it's worth the extra money for some of the options.

All it really comes down to is what is in your budget. If the options fall out of that budget its harder to justify spending the extra money for things. I have no regrets on buying both Quattro Packs the car looks good and its what I wanted in the end.

After speaking with audi thinking of going with the following spec

Audi s1sportback
Sepang blue
exterior styling pack
auto lights
tech pack
advanced key
window tints
flat bottom steering wheel
black grill

I think that is all...

I recommend the Alu gear knob too. But you can buy that afterwards.

Reactions: Jons1
I am thinking that to any ideas how much it costs to buy after? And allso any of parts I can retro fit?

I recommend the Alu gear knob too. But you can buy that afterwards.
Im thinking that to any ideas how much it costs to buy after? And allso any other parts I can retro fit?

Last edited: