Looking to buy a6 2.0 tdi

Riz123

Reaction score
Hi guys looking for a bit of advice I am on the lookout for an a6 2.0 tdi, I was only looking at manuals but have seen one with the cvt box that I really like the car in question is on a 56 plate and has covered 140k with full history.

Are cvt boxes reliable on this year and model or should I stick to a manual?

Any help will be appreciated

If it has a service history of Audi long life services, Don't touch it.
If on the other hand it has had the oil and filter changed, MAX, every 10k and the multitronic oil changer no more than every 38k + all the other service items done on time.
Go for it.

Hi guys looking for a bit of advice I am on the lookout for an a6 2.0 tdi, I was only looking at manuals but have seen one with the cvt box that I really like the car in question is on a 56 plate and has covered 140k with full history.

Are cvt boxes reliable on this year and model or should I stick to a manual?

Any help will be appreciated

Pre 09 cars have too many issues with balance units, oil pumps, and head problems, the BRE/BLB is also prone to breaking the cambelt tensioner stud. Save up a bit more and try and get a 09 onwards common rail.

If it has a service history of Audi long life services, Don't touch it.
If on the other hand it has had the oil and filter changed, MAX, every 10k and the multitronic oil changer no more than every 38k + all the other service items done on time.
Go for it.

So you'd reject a car which hasn't been done every 10k? Most new cars are fleet/hire/finance/company so they'll all be on variable servicing which leaves a very small percentage of cars which have been on the fixed interval.

Did you buy your car brand new, if not whats the timings and mileage of the previous services done before your ownership?

I know a handful of cars which have been on 20k intervals and now have 200k on them and have no issues at all. One is a 3C Passat and 2 MK6 Golf 1.6 TDI.

Thanks for your replies the seller is going to get back to me with the full service record tomorrow so I will check that out and decide, is it possible to call audi to see if they have any records of previous work carried out?

Are the 2.0 tdi engines really that bad I've seen plenty for sale with over 200k and still going I guess it's all down to how the car is maintained.

Thanks for your replies the seller is going to get back to me with the full service record tomorrow so I will check that out and decide, is it possible to call audi to see if they have any records of previous work carried out?

Are the 2.0 tdi engines really that bad I've seen plenty for sale with over 200k and still going I guess it's all down to how the car is maintained.

They're bad if you get a bad one. Even Audi-kept ones can be bad.

Call customer service and any work done within the network will be available given they don't use the old data protection line.

So you'd reject a car which hasn't been done every 10k? Most new cars are fleet/hire/finance/company so they'll all be on variable servicing which leaves a very small percentage of cars which have been on the fixed interval.

Did you buy your car brand new, if not whats the timings and mileage of the previous services done before your ownership?

2009 2.7 TDI S-line Avant. - I know who owned my Avant from new. It was 10 months old when I purchased it with 28k, had had two services plus the service from Audi when I purchased it.
I only do 3k a year and I change the oil & filter every year (3k). It has now got 37k on the clock.
My ATF was changed at 32k. The air con has a service every year,
I change my brake fluid, power steering fluid, air & cabin filters every two years.
I never drive it hard or fast over speed bumps & its always kept in a garage.

I guess it's all down to luck really low mileage or high mileage if somethings going to go wrong it will no matter how well it's been looked after.

Reactions: RoyC
Bit of an update finally got my self a a6 2.0 tdi se on a 56 plate went for the manual in the end, car has a huge specification heated seat's, electric memory seats,folding and dimming memory mirrors,mmi high with colour dis, bose sound, dab radio etc the list goes on. It has covered 131k one previous owner full audi history and has had the balance shaft updated by the audi dealer.