Looking to buy A4 cabriolet, ant advice

pachinnery

Audi A4 Cab, 2.4 V6 2002,
Reaction score
Hi
Currently looking to buy an A4 cabriolet. Looking at the performance I think the 2.4 V6 will do the job best as I intend to tow my caravan with it. Having spent the last month trawling up and down the north west looking at differnt cars I have come to the conclusion that my buget of £8000 to £9000 should get me into a reasonable 02/03 plate car with leather.
Is there any nasties that I should be awear of before I take the pluge and finally buy one. Any advice will be most welcome....
oh and if your thinking of selling and your in my price range drop me a line......

Regards
Paul

hi paul,
had no experience of the 2.4 but as cars go i find my cab great, i have the 1.8t, no rocket ship but a good sturdy well built car, well happy with it.
good luck with it.

I too have a 1.8T and can't fault it! I went all round the country looking but I got mine from BCA auctions in the end from a VW/Audi lease sale. Ended up saving loads of money and got the best one condition around and with the best spec that I went to see.

They have them every couple of weeks. http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=42 check this out. Click on one of the centre locations and it will tell you whats scheduled

speedy, have you remapped yours mate, its just im thinking about doing it.

Hey - Not yet..... but I have been thinking about it for a little while now! Trouble is I've got some bills coming up soon so it's going to be delayed even further but when the time comes I don't know who to go with ?

When or if you do decide to get yours done let me know how it goes and what you think!

tbh i'd go for a 1.8T over the V6

You'll get better fuel economy, and the turbo ensures theres just as much power and torque, and more if you get it remapped.

Hi Mate - in all honesty, When I was looking - I would say the 2.4 was the worst option! I understand about the V6 comment so I'd suggest the 3.0 as I believe fuel economy isn't any worse, insurance not any difference (unless you get the 6 speed) and much faster! Only thing is you can't remap it (unlike the 1.8T). Have a search on here for similar threads as I believe other people have asked the same advice. ALSO - I would avoid the Multitronic Gearbox! Either way - which ever A4 Cab you get I'm sure you'll be happy with it :) Good luck.

if you go for the multitronic gearbox.....make sure the oil has been changed and test drive it properly. The Multitronic box is known to have issues. Great box when it works and a great car.

Hi Guys,

I asked this in another thread, but perhaps this would be a better place.

I'm thinking of getting either an S4 cab or an M3 cab.

How much bodyflex or scuttle shake do you guys experience, if any?

I know the M3s have a pretty hard ride (especially on 19s) and that missing a roof is never going to help the rattle issue, but I think Audi have always been better at reducing this in their cabs.

Any thoughts?

n

I've not driven the BMW but when driving the Audi - I must admit that it was like driving a saloon as I would expect to hear wind wooshing, if i closed my eyes i would swear I couldn't tell I was in a Cab (i don't tend to do that though anymore!). Only if I drive over a pothole the steering column does shudder very slightly.

I've not driven the BMW but when driving the Audi - I must admit that it was like driving a saloon as I would expect to hear wind wooshing, if i closed my eyes i would swear I couldn't tell I was in a Cab (i don't tend to do that though anymore!). Only if I drive over a pothole the steering column does shudder very slightly.

:iagree: and second that ! Don't hear any wind noise at all and scuttle shake is next to none. Not to sure about closing of the eyes bit though

Forget the BMW get the Audi...... you wouldn't regret it plus it's less likely to get nicked over the M3!

Hi
Thanks for the great responce. I hear what you are saying about the 1.8T being the best option but I see quite a lot of post's about people having engine rebuils and turbo problems. Having to pull a caravan, on paper the 2.4 has more torque than the 1.8 which is always useful when towing.
I read with interest the comments about the BMW vers the A4, I have driven many BM's and Audi's over the last month and from my experiance there is no compation the A4 drives much better and handles the pot holes smoother.

Regards

paul

tbh the sludge issues arent as bad as it would seem from this forum. There are hundereds of thousands of those engines in use daily across a whole range of cars, and yes while some do suffer from sludge, its only a minority, and its ALWAYS down to insufficient oil changes (regardless of whether the dealers schedule has been met or not)

The 2.4 makes around 170lbft peak. The standard 1.8T (150hp) makes less than that, however the turbo is mapped to give a very flat torque curve, and it makes its peak torque over a much wider range of RPM's compared with the V6. Also, should you buy the 163hp variant you'll have the same torque as the V6 but still with a wider spread, and the 190hp variant more still. Plus all the models can be remapped very cheaply (£3-400) and the remapped engine will produce a LOT more torque than the V6, and your benefiting from better fuel economy too.

Thanks Aragorn
I will go and drive a couple of 1.8T's and see how they feel about the torque.

Regards
Paul

tbh the sludge issues arent as bad as it would seem from this forum. There are hundereds of thousands of those engines in use daily across a whole range of cars, and yes while some do suffer from sludge, its only a minority, and its ALWAYS down to insufficient oil changes

I think as aragorn says you need to keep these 'faults' you read about in forums in perspective. There are probably 1000's of 1.8T's about that have never missed a beat, but no one ever writes about them. But the minute one goes we all come on here and rant about it!!

Have you given any thought to a 2.5TDi Cabby? I am pretty sure they were an available option in the B6 ...... And would be a cracker for towing with. Drive it before you judge it ;)

Thanks quattrojames
I have thought about the 2.5TD but they are rare on 02/03 plates and usually have high miles or are very expensive. I am currntly driving an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 TD and it pulls like a train (even with the van). If I could match that performance I would be more than happy.

Regards
Paul

I've got the same 2.5TD engine in my Wifes Allroad. This diesel engine is indeed superb and great ferformance - yet when the roof is down you surely can't get the same gratitude a convertible gives when driving around town - the noise of the engine would spoil the experience!

I have a 2.5 V6 Tdi and love the low-end grunt. A friend has an Avensis D4D and he was amazed at the way the A4 accelerates.
Mine is Multitronic and my only grouch so far is that, if you try and hold it on the brake, feed in some throttle, and release brake, it sits and thinks about it for a couple of milliseconds (Very disconcerting the first time it happened)
By comparison, my old Discovery 3.9, using the same technique, used to take off like the proverbial scalded cat (with matching rearward movement of fuel gauge pointer)
I haven't measured consumption in detail, but a trip to the West Country this Summer used 40% of what the Disco had typically used.

a mate off mine has the 2.5 tdi cab and its a stomping motor.
if your lugging a caravan round regularly then i would say its your best bet mate!
i didnt go for the 2.4 as all of the above comments seemed spot on, no more powerfull, thirsty, not as tuneable and didnt seem o hold there value aswell, allthough theyve all dropped like a stone now.

sorry to hijack the thread a little, but i am also looking at getting a a4 cab 2.4 (due to budget cant seem to get hold of any 1.8T and 3.0 because of insurance-young driver :( .

but i have an interesting question related to this topic. As the a5 cabriolet is due to come out early this year, i think its february isnt it, quote me if im wrong, will this have a major effect on the prices of a4 cabs.

the reason why i ask this is because dealers will be pushing to get rid of all their a4 cabs and hence will most probably be reducing the price. if this is the case, is it wise to hold on for another 6-7 months as this may cause a reduction in the prices of more older (2002-2005) b6 cabs?

any suggestions :)

sorry to hijack the thread a little, but i am also looking at getting a a4 cab 2.4 (due to budget cant seem to get hold of any 1.8T and 3.0 because of insurance-young driver :( .

Umm the 1.8T is actually a lower insurance group...

They are Both group 15 on the 0-20 scale, but on the newer 0-50 scale, the 1.8T cabrio is 31 and the 2.4 V6 is 34.

Audi cab & caravan! Hope you are going to put a removable towbar on it.:kissmyrings:

i can get insured on a 1.8T but cant stretch my budget to purchase one, its the 3.0 that i cant get insured on.

is it wise to wait for the a5 convertibles release as it may have an effect on the price of a4 convertibles?

ah got ya.

I guess the price might drop, but then where do you draw the line. If you wait 6 months after the A5 comes out, the cars your looking at now will be cheaper still, 6 months after that they'll be cheaper still etc.

i see what you are saying. usually with the release of a new model there is a drastic change in the prices of the previous model, iv been looking a a4 cabs for a while now, and the reason why i have not purchased one yet is due to my young age and insurance. i remember this time last year, there was not even one available regardless of spec, engine and so on for less than 11-12grand and now u can pick the cheaper ones up for around 7grand.

im hoping for another drastic change like this, lol, as im hoping to get one just before this upcoming summer

i see what you are saying. usually with the release of a new model there is a drastic change in the prices of the previous model, iv been looking a a4 cabs for a while now, and the reason why i have not purchased one yet is due to my young age and insurance. i remember this time last year, there was not even one available regardless of spec, engine and so on for less than 11-12grand and now u can pick the cheaper ones up for around 7grand.

im hoping for another drastic change like this, lol, as im hoping to get one just before this upcoming summer

I think it would depend on how much you are anticipating spending. I personally don' think the release af an A5 cab at £35k ish is going to have much effect on a £10-15k secondhand A4 cab. However you say you are getting one "just before the upcoming summer" as I'm sure you're aware out of season is far and away the best time to buy a cabby, and I think this would have far more of an effect on the price than the release of an A5 cab.

Hi
Thanks for all the useful advice. I finally made my choice and taken the plunge. Picket up a red 52 plate 2.4 Manual with black leather for £7600. Fully stanped up service book, 12mths MOT and new tyres. I drove it back from Leeds and it's fit's the bill of what I'm looking for just nice. Now all we need is a good summer to get the hood down....
oh and yes I was thinking of fitting a removable tow bar, does anybody have any experiance of the different models? I've seen a couple advertised but now need to get down and get it fitted (probably DIY)..
Regards

Paul

CONGRATS pachinnery.

hope you enjoy it mate.
wouldnt get to excited about the weather though,remember were in england .
any other mods on the way?
has it got the rns-e, ally trims, multi wheel etc.
we will all happily spend your money for you on here.
good luck with it mate.

for those that are interested in mapping, i have a 1.8t cab with a chipped UK map. it totally transforms the car from a docile cruiser, to something far more smooth, fun and much more powerful to drive.

congrats on the purchase pachinnery, take a look at the smarttop units for the a4. remote control of your windows and roof. i have one, and dont know how i would cope without it now. a little pricey at around £300 ish i think, but o-so worth it imho.