Looking to buy a S4

Techen

Reaction score
Any tips or threads I should look at before grabbing a S4?

I want DSG, Never had one and want to try it. Other than that am not sure. I'd spend upto 20k so a 2010 or 2011 would be prefect.

Hi mate, good choice. Had my s4 a week and love it! Already booked in for a remap.
Check out the threads on the gearbox issues (there's plenty) so you know what to lookout for!
Shop around, I picked mine up (hard to find manual gearbox) with loads of extras (ads, sports diff etc..) and 47k on the clock for £18k but had to travel to Aberdeen for it.

Personally I would be a little weary of the Stronic.I don't doubt that it is great when working,but IF it does go wrong you can be looking @ 7K plus bills to fix :(
The earlier B8 Stronic is said to be worse for issues,but reading lately on the US boards some are starting to get some issues with the updated Stronic in the B8.5.I'm not saying it will fail,but it needs to be considered as the bill is high IF it goes (compared to a new clutch in a 6MT)
http://audisrs.com/about63694.html looks a nice S4 having said that

I might be selling mine shortly as need to get something cheaper to run to pay off what it's cost me recently...
Great car when they work but can cost you dear if not (mines all sorted now but hadn't been prepared for these costs) :(
Need to look at market and see what it's worth considering the mods and the fact it's got pretty much a new gearbox in it

I have a 2014 S-Tronic. I love it but would make sure you have a warranty to cover any potential issues. The gearbox reliability is a discussion that crops up fairly often. There are no real conclusions other than the older boxes are more prone to issues.

I had an S-tronic and traded it back in after 8 weeks due the gearbox warranty issue and also wasn't 100% sure I was jelling with the Auto. Jumped into a manual for the last 6 months.
Had an S3 S-tronic on loan this weekend and it reconfirmed S-tronic isn't for me. Fine when you are 'on it with the paddles' but I hate it's 'I know best' attitude in Auto and inability to read the road ahead.
It's a shame as there are some ****** nice high power saloons out there but only if you like Auto boxes.

Wait, The S4 does not have DSG it has S-Tronic? Okaaay... So I guess I'll shop around for a manual then, They seem a bit cheaper as well, Didn't really want a manual cause I'd like to be lazy for once but I'd rather not have a 7K bill for when it does blow up.

I thought S-Tronic was the current name for DSG; i.e. they're the same thing. Is that not right?

Reactions: razza1 and xpoweruk
The S-Tronic and 3.0TFSI go together perfectly, I find it a joy to drive on a daily basis - perfect getaways every time and near-instant acceleration in the correct gear when needed. Of course, it's just a computer program, so it has it's limitations. You'd be mad not to test drive both before you make your mind up though. Manual just works better for some.

DSG/S-Tronic are indeed the same thing, it just depends on if you buy from Audi or VW (with the exception of the Mk1 TT 3.2 I believe which was marketed as having DSG). Also, I think some of the manual S4s tip over into a higher tax bracket, like £490 a year or something. But if that puts you off, you shouldn't be buying the car!

Take your time and look for a car with Drive Select including the Sports Diff, it's a great feature and will probably make the car more desirable when you come to sell.

Reactions: jdp1962
I never test drove a manual, as soon as i put a few miles on the s-tronic i fell in love with it! just make sure it's been serviced if you do find one with the s-tronic. obviously there have been issues reported here, but i should imagine the overall failure rate is still very low, otherwise a lot more noise would be getting made about the issues.

The S-Tronic and 3.0TFSI go together perfectly, I find it a joy to drive on a daily basis - perfect getaways every time and near-instant acceleration in the correct gear when needed. Of course, it's just a computer program, so it has it's limitations. You'd be mad not to test drive both before you make your mind up though. Manual just works better for some.

DSG/S-Tronic are indeed the same thing, it just depends on if you buy from Audi or VW (with the exception of the Mk1 TT 3.2 I believe which was marketed as having DSG). Also, I think some of the manual S4s tip over into a higher tax bracket, like £490 a year or something. But if that puts you off, you shouldn't be buying the car!

Take your time and look for a car with Drive Select including the Sports Diff, it's a great feature and will probably make the car more desirable when you come to sell.
Totally endorse your comments on how well the engine and S-Tronic box complement each other, and yes, Drive Select & Sports Diff add considerably to the driving experience and the car's overall desirability.

Personally, I didn't need to test-drive a manual S4 because I haven't owned a manual car since 1989. But I agree that anyone who's undecided between the two really should test both extensively.

Tax bracket for the manual S4 seems ti vary,mine us the same as an Stronic (2011 )

Reactions: scotty76
I don't care much for tax as next year all cars tax will be 140 a year...

Pretty sure manuals finished in 2010 but not so plentiful supply as the DSG box.
I'm nervous of the potential issues, so on this occasion I bought from a main dealer which at the time was running a 2 year warranty incentive.
Sure, I paid over the odds buying main dealer, but the warranty alone is worth £1,250 a year for the full up no excess version, so it felt like it offset the higher screen price slightly.
If you buy used privately, you can add an Audi extended warranty to it, https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/...-plans/audi-warranties/extended-warranty.html. which will give decent peace of mind.

Reactions: scotty76
Scotland, Near perth and dundee.

Wait S4 Avant? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Am still a young guy. Can't be going about in a Avant....

Reactions: razza1
Wait S4 Avant? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Am still a young guy. Can't be going about in a Avant....

There's nothing wrong with an avant! I'm 30 and have been driving one for the last 5yrs. Or is that about the age you become old enough?? Only kidding, got two dogs so made sense. Although personally I prefer the avant.

Reactions: rabhrab and xpoweruk
Each to their own. Bye the way, I'm in Alloa.

A fellow scot :)
I previously had a DSG but now have a 6MT model and IMO, much prefer the MT. I'd say go try a few of each so you can gauge what suits your driving style best.

Reactions: rabhrab
I've never driven a auto ever and I've heard amazing things about the auto boxes but I guess at the end of the day am not fussed :p

Totally endorse your comments on how well the engine and S-Tronic box complement each other, and yes, Drive Select & Sports Diff add considerably to the driving experience and the car's overall desirability.

Personally, I didn't need to test-drive a manual S4 because I haven't owned a manual car since 1989. But I agree that anyone who's undecided between the two really should test both extensively.

I don't even follow my own advice! I drove an S-Tronic, fell in love and bought it. I've done that with the last 3 cars and it has worked well for me. Much as I love a manual, my clutch work is not great on the pull-aways & I'm a whore for gear shift paddles on the steering wheel.

As for the 'old-man' Avant comment... Two words, "Powered tailgate." ELECTRIC BOOT! The novelty of opening it as people walk past will NEVER wear off!

Reactions: rabhrab
I'm only 26 and im in a avant! i surf so the boot space and roof rails get a lot of use. Wasn't so much fun stacking 4 surfboards and 4 peoples gear in my old a3 8l :p

Reactions: rabhrab and rizzini7
I donno, If I found a really really really nice avant I might buy but... saloon is so sexy :(

I'll just leave this here ;) Avants look much better with the black pack IMO.
20160223 175621 2

Reactions: MattS5, rabhrab and rizzini7
Do love that colour though, Suits it well :D

S-TRONIC only on the 2012> facelift I'm afraid. Otherwise I would be driving one.
Oh!!! and did someone mention Avant.....here's mine....not so old man like.....

Reactions: razza1, Lavis89, rabhrab and 1 other person
Stop tempting me, The saloon is nicer no? D:

Reactions: razza1