Looking to buy a B7 or B8 TDI, any comments, good options etc.

paul_r

Reaction score
Probably 2.0 ltr. Any preference between the B7 and B8. Auto or manual, anything to look out for.

Moving from a 2007 2.0 tdi A3.

Any comments appreciated.

B8 is obviously newer and will have more clever trickery, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Personally, I prefer the styling of the B7 but that's obviously a subjective thing. I guess you need to test drive both to know if the B8 is worth paying more for. As to engines and transmissions, I've got to say that the 3.0TDi Quattro with automatic transmission is the nearest thing to perfection there is.

B8 is obviously newer and will have more clever trickery, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Personally, I prefer the styling of the B7 but that's obviously a subjective thing. I guess you need to test drive both to know if the B8 is worth paying more for. As to engines and transmissions, I've got to say that the 3.0TDi Quattro with automatic transmission is the nearest thing to perfection there is.

I prefer the B7 styling too.

Hi,

I can honestly say with hand on heart in relation to drive, comfort and power bearing in mind the latter part you can't always boot it down the road, I would say automatic. I recently had the pleasure of test driving the C-Class and the E-Class Merc, and it was a dream to drive them with so much ease.

Go get a AUTOMATIC.....

Hi,

I can honestly say with hand on heart in relation to drive, comfort and power bearing in mind the latter part you can't always boot it down the road, I would say automatic. I recently had the pleasure of test driving the C-Class and the E-Class Merc, and it was a dream to drive them with so much ease.

Go get a AUTOMATIC.....

Are the auto gearboxes in the B7 any good, or do you go for the B8 (bearing in mind its a newer model)

Are the auto gearboxes in the B7 any good, or do you go for the B8 (bearing in mind its a newer model)
Quattros have a traditional torque converter box made by ZF. Smooth, responsive, and bullet-proof. Front-wheel-drive models have the Multitronic CVT box. Early models were fragile, but since about 2005, they've been fine provided they get an oil change every 40,000 miles. Both types of auto box include a Tiptronic mode.

Last edited:

I can only say try them both, as in test drive and take it from there.

Go for the b8, it's a no brained surely? Newer car, more refined and the price difference between b7 and b8 is almost non existent

Love mine and all the multitronic issues have been sorted on the b8 so no worries there.

I can only assume you are moving from a3 to a4 for more space? Well the b8 is a massive improvement over the b7, especially in the rear and boot.

Go b8!!

What were the multitronic issues?[/QUOTE

Big problems on early multitronic equipped cars, gearbox failure etc, google it, there's lots of people had problems.

All sorted on the later cars though, mines got 79000 miles and never had a problem.

I test drove the manual and auto and I prefer the 8 speed auto I have.

What were the multitronic issues?

Premature failure of the ECU and/or internal mechanical components. In a great many cases, it was down to owners not following the service requirement to change the gearbox oil every 40,000 miles (I cannot over state how essential that is), but there is no doubt there were some design weaknesses in the early years - say, up to about 2005. Like Tedward said, though, stick to later models, check the service history for cast-iron proof of the oil changes, and you should be fine.