Looking for some tuning advice

dibs2k7

Reaction score
Hi, Not sure if this is the right area of the forum to ask but as this is a more general question i thought here would be best, sorry if its in the wrong section.

I currently have an a4 97 b5 estate model with afn engine, 160k on the clock, she seems to have been well looked after and still pulls well for a 110bhp car, she certainly doesnt feel like she has lost much power if any, however im looking to get her tuned, mostly just an ecu tune to bring up the horsies and make them work that bit faster so my question is, is there anything in specific i should be wary of before getting the tune done, is there any specifics i need to check out in terms of making sure she will be able to handle the tune well without anything breaking down, i have the egr blanked off already the turbo has been cleaned and seems to run perfect without any issues, but im just looking for general advice of what i should be checking/replacing before i get the tune done to the car.

also what would be a recommended tune considering age and mileage as i have heard they can go up to anything nearing 170bhp from just a tune. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice you can give me it will be well appreciated as id rather go into this with as much knowledge as i can. Damian.

You wont get anywhere near 170hp on a VE engine with "just a tune".

130-140ish maybe.

After that you need injector/nozzle upgrades at the very least.

As for what you want to be doing, really all you can do is ensure the engines uptodate in terms of servicing, clean oil with regular changes, new fuel filter, new air filter, and ensure there are no leaks, split hoses etc under the bonnet.

You wont get anywhere near 170hp on a VE engine with "just a tune".

130-140ish maybe.

After that you need injector/nozzle upgrades at the very least.

As for what you want to be doing, really all you can do is ensure the engines uptodate in terms of servicing, clean oil with regular changes, new fuel filter, new air filter, and ensure there are no leaks, split hoses etc under the bonnet.

Thanks for the reply, im working my way through the hoses anyway as with it being a slightly older car i want to make sure their all good, as for the bhp gain as i say this is only hearsay from others, which is why im looking into this myself as i want to be as informed as i can about it, lastly im not sure what you mean by VE engine?

The 110hp engine has a bosch rotary pump known as the "VE". This is a central timing belt driven pump, with pipes running to a mechanical injector on each cylinder.

The later enignes (115, 130 etc) use a Unit Injector system known as Pumpe Düse where the injectors are driven directly by the cam shaft and have electronic solenoids attached. These PD engines are typically somewhat more tuneable as standard, mainly because the stock injectors have a much wider scope for fuel delivery.