Looking for some advice on handling on a A3 8l. Some track use

hidro

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have bought an Audi A3 8l 1.8t, with some mods already.
It has a S3 management, IE intake, GTX3582R (might be changing this, as it seems too big), 875cc injectors, etc. So engine is done.
Handling, it has some lowering springs, and some shocks (don't know which) but I have a set of AP coilovers to put in.
It has the Leon Cupra R control arms, arb that will connect to the suspension mount.
So, unaware of what the spring rates are on the AP coilovers, I would like to know if there is any recommendation, without breaking the bank, for spring rates? (I've seen that Prawn is using 650 all around, but that might be a bit harsh, and also, the need of getting the suspension made to spec, will also be a bit outside of budget).
For the rear, I was considering an anti roll bar. Is there anything that would be good? Is there anything that can be used from another model (I've seen R32 for S3's, etc)?
If not, which size of rear ARB is a good compromise? 22mm? 25mm?

Thanks all!

If you changing your turbo I could be interested in yours if it’s anytime soon , is yours a Quattro

Turbo change, might not be in the near future. I'll still have to check how I'm going to go forward. Anyway, how much are these good for? Being a Garrett one.
Also, it's not a quattro. FWD with a FML 6speed gearbox (from a Cupra).

Have a butchers of this: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-suspension-and-set-up-guide.56875/

Above link has very good information on how to finesse the handling on these A3's. I have followed the guide and done 22mm front ARB, 19mm R32 rear ARB, Bilstein B8 shocks, H&R springs, powerflex bushes all around, uprated diesel dog bone mount, adjustable rear lower control arms, and its a brilliant setup cannot recommend it enough!

I forgot to put this on the main topic, and I cannot edit it, it seems.
It's a FWD car, not AWD, so the R32 bar is not an option?

R32 front ARB is doable but you will need to use droplinks off the strut rather than the front arms....

People also use the front cast arms and hub carriers from the S3/TT/LCR on A3's (@Prawn for example) as it helps with the front geometry (roll centres, camber and track width)

<tuffty/>

Looks like I just found a rear 25mm eibach one, not that expensive.
AS1540320HA
So, stock front LCR and rear 25mm would be good?

Or, getting 22mm front and 25mm rear from eibach?
I'm really new to all this in an Audi.

I'm a Golf mk2 with 1.8T kind of guy. Leaving that and getting a bit more safety involved.
Life is mad on a Golf mk2, but having a kid does get you to think some more about stuff ;)

Last edited:
Looks like I just found a rear 25mm eibach one, not that expensive.
AS1540320HA
So, stock front LCR and rear 25mm would be good?

Or, getting 22mm front and 25mm rear from eibach?
I'm really new to all this in an Audi.

I'm a Golf mk2 with 1.8T kind of guy. Leaving that and getting a bit more safety involved.
Life is mad on a Golf mk2, but having a kid does get you to think some more about stuff ;)

Have a 25mm rear Eibach ARB hanging up in the garage if you need one?

I do need one. How much would that be? Also, I'm from Portugal, so shipping might be a bit?