Looking for advice regarding lowering

ShEp1.8t

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for lowering my 8v S3

it's a 2014 and has driver modes, which I assume means it has mag ride? I'd like to lower it a bit, Not ridiculous but just lose the arch gap, I'm on the lookout for some OEM 19's for it too.

Whats the best route to take? Coilovers? Springs? (30-40mm) I can only seem to find 10mm or 20mm springs, which didn;t do anything on my old 8p 2.0tfsi

Also is the Maxton stuff any good? I was looking at a splitter and skirt extensions, seem reasonably priced, but I'm not happy with the £80 postage cost to the Scottish Highlands.

Feel free to post some pictures for inspiration if you like.

Reactions: Jimbob76
Drive select doesn't mean you have magride, infact if you don't have 19's then you definitely won't as you had to spec 19's and magride together.
I had eibach pros and then the MSS height adjustable kit on mine, only a 19mm drop but nice enough for me.
You could go eibach sportline or H&R's but imo you'll start to ruin the ride at a 30mm drop especially on the standard shocks

This was on the MSS kit that I had set the same as the Eibach Pro's
20180830 155220 3024x2268

Reactions: pburv, dp_motley and Jimbob76

it's a 2014 and has driver modes, which I assume means it has mag ride? I'd like to lower it a bit, Not ridiculous but just lose the arch gap, I'm on the lookout for some OEM 19's for it too.

Whats the best route to take? Coilovers? Springs? (30-40mm) I can only seem to find 10mm or 20mm springs, which didn;t do anything on my old 8p 2.0tfsi

Also is the Maxton stuff any good? I was looking at a splitter and skirt extensions, seem reasonably priced, but I'm not happy with the £80 postage cost to the Scottish Highlands.

Following
I’m in the same position.
I’m debating whether to go for eibach pro or eibach sportline springs

It’s the eternal quandry - how low do you go before it looks like you’ve ruined the car? Not a fan of the slammed look personally. But stock is just that wee bit too high. The conclusion I’ve come to (and done absolutely nothing about yet, lol), is that if you have 19’s and magride, then my preference (for mine) would be the Eibach Pro kit, which should lower by 15mm on the rear and about 20mm on the front. Which would keep an OEM+ look. To the casual observer, it wouldn’t look out of the ordinary, but those with a keen eye would admire the stance.

Magride does make the car sit a tad higher than regular suspension though, so if you don’t have it, then Eibach Sportlines would lower by c. 30mm all around.

All subjective of course (@-Ju- has got it pretty much perfect with his photo above IMO), but much lower than that, then you have wheel arch rubbing issues to (potentially) contend with, and the possibility of bottoming out over speed bumps and the like.

Whatever you do, don’t do this...

91112146 FCA9 47FD 960C 5C609ADB257D

And then there’s the rabbit hole of wheel spacers to go down, lol, it’s a minefield. @Lehn - you’ve got the lowering thing NAILED. Post some pics buster :hi:

Oh, and plenty on here have gone the Maxton front splitter route (I believe the Maxton badge on the front can be peeled off if you don’t want the branding). Fewer have gone the side skirts route, but they look pretty tidy and subtle to me.

Last edited:
It’s the eternal quandary - how low do you go before it looks like you’ve ruined the car? Not a fan of the slammed look personally. But stock is just that wee bit too high. The conclusion I’ve come to (and done absolutely nothing about yet, lol), is that if you have 19’s and magride, then my preference (for mine) would be the Eibach Pro kit, which should lower by 15mm on the rear and about 20mm on the front. Which would keep an OEM+ look. To the casual observer, it wouldn’t look out of the ordinary, but those with a keen eye would admire the stance.

Magride does make the car sit a tad higher than regular suspension though, so if you don’t have it, then Eibach Sportlines would lower by c. 30mm all around.

All subjective of course (@-Ju- has got it pretty much perfect with his photo above IMO), but much lower than that, then you have wheel arch rubbing issues to (potentially) contend with, and the possibility of bottoming out over speed bumps and the like.

Whatever you do, don’t do this...

View attachment 209111

And then there’s the rabbit hole of wheel spacers to go down, lol, it’s a minefield. @Lehn - you’ve got the lowering thing NAILED. Post some pics buster :hi:

Oh, and plenty on here have gone the Maxton front splitter route (I believe the Maxton badge on the front can be peeled off if you don’t want the branding). Fewer have gone the side skirts route, but they look pretty tidy and subtle to me.
You’ve just answered a lot of questions I’ve been wanting to ask.
My s3 saloon has 19’s and I’ve been convinced that it sits higher than most of the s-line a3 saloons I see around. Would it be a safe bet to assume I have magride then?
I think the eibach pro kit is going to win it for me. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on the front lip a couple of times too but I think I’ll wait till I put springs in first. Hopefully I’ll lose some of the pogo stick suspension feel going over speed bumps too

You’ve just answered a lot of questions I’ve been wanting to ask.
My s3 saloon has 19’s and I’ve been convinced that it sits higher than most of the s-line a3 saloons I see around. Would it be a safe bet to assume I have magride then?
I think the eibach pro kit is going to win it for me. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on the front lip a couple of times too but I think I’ll wait till I put springs in first. Hopefully I’ll lose some of the pogo stick suspension feel going over speed bumps too
Saloons had magride as standard

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

My earlier post was muddled and back to front logic wise - so to clarify, magride, sits higher, so could potentially take lower (i.e. Sportlines), but for me the Pro kit would be the ideal drop, and would mess less with the magride...

My earlier post was muddled and back to front logic wise - so to clarify, magride, sits higher, so could potentially take lower (i.e. Sportlines), but for me the Pro kit would be the ideal drop, and would mess less with the magride...
I concur

Thanks for the info guys...

I've got a Caddy on coilovers and I'm an advocate for lowering but not enough to ruin the ride, (those days are gone)

I'm not interested in H&R as I had them on my A3 S-line and found they were really hard, My dads A3 on KW's drove far nicer than mine did.

I'll be happy if I dont need to reprogram anything to fit lowering springs, as I really have no idea about it, although my dad does have VCDS we only use it for basic stuff.

What is the ride quality (I mean comfort) of the MSS compared to the Eibach Pro?
I'd say the MSS were slightly more comfortable but for the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Eibach pro's. Obviously the main advantage with the MSS is you can fine tune the ride height.
Both require magride recalibration if you have it to get the best results.
H&R's I would stay away from, too low for me and I had to be really careful on speed humps

I'd say the MSS were slightly more comfortable but for the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Eibach pro's. Obviously the main advantage with the MSS is you can fine tune the ride height.
Both require magride recalibration if you have it to get the best results.
H&R's I would stay away from, too low for me and I had to be really careful on speed humps
Thanks. I have the Eibach pro's on my car. But I have a set of the rear MSS Streets from my previous car (8PA). I consider to try and fit it to the my current 8VF if it's possible.

Check with your insurance for any cost increase! I looked at a lowered RF early in the year, my current insurance company quoted double what it was without being lowered!!!

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Went with Racingline. Can't fault them.

Looks amazing. 25mm all around.

Comfort hasn't been compromised at all.