Looking for a S3, facelift or not

Alfachats

Reaction score
Hello chums,

So Im in the market for a S3, my budget is a max of 8k which would get me a facelift but only just.
Question is, do I go for a face lift or go for a lower mileage non FL.
Whats the advantage of a face lift, is it a better car.
Opinions please.

Rog.

Do you want manual or DSG? Do you want 3 door or Sportback?

The pre-facelift was 3 door manual only.

Happy with a 3 door and manual although would not say no to a DSG if it was the right car.

I have a prefacelift and I am happy with it. I would not want a facelift with the massive wing mirrors as I think they spoil the look a bit.
I understand the prefacelift has better quality suspension arms from listening to the chaps fitting my exhaust at BCS. Also the intercooler has alloy end tanks rather than plastic of the facelift. Somethings the plastic ones can leak and do not cool the air as efficiently if the car is tuned up. The prefacelift has the BHZ engine and the facelift has the CDL engine. Higher standard rev limit on the CDL engine though both normally increased to 7200 rpm when tuned.
A big decision centres around if you want dsg or manual. If you are going to tune your car, the dsg seems to cause less problems as no need to change the clutch. The dsg clamping pressure can be increased.
I have never had a dsg but I can see that if I eventually buy a new performance VAG car it will have to have the dsg box. My son had a manual Golf7R and the clutch was slipping within 8K miles. VW said they did not think there was a problem with the strength of the product but the latest Golf7.5R cars only come with the DSG box.
I think that whatever you buy, it is essential that it has an excellent service history and when you get it have the Haldex filter changed at an independent along with the oil as this is not a service item at Audi.

Ideal, thanks for the info, TBH Ive just realised the budget is not as healthy as I thought, im thinking more 6.5k - 7k now so I guess my mind is sort of made up.
Test drove a 07 plate S3 local to me yesterday and was amazed by the performance, car wasn't quite what I wanted with too many things 'just not right' but as a product I was more than happy, mind is made up, pre face lift please.

Reactions: samuelh_888