Looking at moving to B8 A4 Avant 3.0 tdi Auto

gary_a4_quattro

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

Popped in from 'next door' (the B7 section) as I'm considering moving from my B7 A4 Avant S line 2.0 tfsi manual to a B8 A4 Avant 3.0 tdi S line Auto. Fairly well read on the issues that might raise their head on the B7 3.0 tdi's, so I was just wondering what I should be looking at closely ?

The reality is, from financial point, I'll be looking at model year will be up to 2010, mileage under 90 K, but with a nice spec. With regard to the auto box, I'd have a preference for the vanilla TipTronic due to the reliability, heard mixed thoughts on MultiTronic and S Tronic 'boxes - Is this the case in B8 guise ?

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this, comments etc

Thanks in advance

Can't help but here's a free bump to the top so hopefully someone replies.
There are a couple of 300+hp tuned ones on here.........

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
I would stick with the Tiptronic if you want an auto. The Multichronic is only available on a lower power FWD car and certainly wouldn't be where I would be going. The 3.0 Tdi in B8 guise is a great engine, simple remap gets you to 300bhp , a few suspension tweaks with a thicker rear ARB and a strut brace on the front helps the handling.
@bobby singh is running his 3.0 Tdi auto at 440bhp and 900Nm and it seems to be handling that so the Tiptronic used in these appears to be a strong box.

I would stick with the Tiptronic if you want an auto. The Multichronic is only available on a lower power FWD car and certainly wouldn't be where I would be going. The 3.0 Tdi in B8 guise is a great engine, simple remap gets you to 300bhp , a few suspension tweaks with a thicker rear ARB and a strut brace on the front helps the handling.
@bobby singh is running his 3.0 Tdi auto at 440bhp and 900Nm and it seems to be handling that so the Tiptronic used in these appears to be a strong box.

Cheers @desertstorm , would probably be progressing down the route of dpf delete and subtle map, think some of its journeys just wouldnt be conducive to a dpf ! Good thumbs up to the tiptronic box if its handling that sort of torque and good info on the handling tweeks too :)

Much appreciated !

Hi Gary,

Perhaps I can help, having picked up my 3.0TDI SLine Avant Quattro Tiptronic (phew!) a couple of weeks ago, and its a phenomenal machine.

Like you, I looked at the s-tronics, but after driving the two different boxes back to back, there really isn't that much in it day-to-day driving (apart from an extra ratio obviously). But I preferred the thought of sleeping easy at night and not worrying over the big bills - plus they can handle huge torque.

I've just come back from JR Tuning in Kent where I've had an engine and gearbox remap - 300BHP+ is easy with a map, but the gearbox remap is the real stand out for me - its absolutely incredible! The car shifts so much quicker in all modes, locks up the torque converter earlier and doesn't limit the torque as much in lower ratios. The manual shifts using the paddles change in about half the time - and I didn't find the changes particularly slow to begin with! :)

Hi Gary,

Perhaps I can help, having picked up my 3.0TDI SLine Avant Quattro Tiptronic (phew!) a couple of weeks ago, and its a phenomenal machine.

Like you, I looked at the s-tronics, but after driving the two different boxes back to back, there really isn't that much in it day-to-day driving (apart from an extra ratio obviously). But I preferred the thought of sleeping easy at night and not worrying over the big bills - plus they can handle huge torque.

I've just come back from JR Tuning in Kent where I've had an engine and gearbox remap - 300BHP+ is easy with a map, but the gearbox remap is the real stand out for me - its absolutely incredible! The car shifts so much quicker in all modes, locks up the torque converter earlier and doesn't limit the torque as much in lower ratios. The manual shifts using the paddles change in about half the time - and I didn't find the changes particularly slow to begin with! :)

Thank you for the positive feedback @LukeyC , much appreciated ! You sound dead chuffed with yours, with regard to the gearbox mapping, it doesn't seem to be a service that is widely available, or at least, advertised by the tuning companies ? Cheers for the recommendation for JR Tuning, sadly they're a fair trek from my here (tho' not an impossible one!), would hope to find a company to offer both engine and g/box maps west midlands area ideally. If anyone has experience of a tuning co. for these services in Midlands area, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks again !

Unfortunately JR Tuning was the only place I found that offered tiptronic gearbox tuning. It meant a 5am start so I could get to them for 9am, not getting back home until 6pm but it was well worth it for me - just take a good book while you wait!

To be honest even there were places cheaper I'm super happy with the custom maps Rob wrote me, and, knowing what I know now would still make the journey to them!

(ps I'm not in any way affiliated with JR Tuning nor Rob, just a very happy customer)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Different car to mine (SQ5) I know but the tiptronic box is bulletproof and handles 320 bhp easily. The torque is phenomenal and you wont regret going to a 3.0tdi engine.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro and LukeyC
Very nice SmokeyMike - I thought about an SQ5 but couldn't justify the huge additional cost over an A4 Avant. Bet it's mega though!

FYI - Although both traditional autos, your SQ5 has an 8 speed box, while the B8 3.0TDI's have a 6 speed. I'm not sure the newer ZF 8 speeds can handle quite the same limits of torque, but the 8 speed is supposed to be an excellent gearbox all the same.

If anyone finds a ZF service kit for a 6hp 28 (TIP) I would be interested. Everyone is keen to tell me the 6hp 26 share the same kit which is rubbish as the 28 uses zf lifeguard 8.

Cheers

......and the search continues !!

Missed a good deal I think .....Really annoyed at myself , for procrastinating , and not speaking to the dealers. Car was advertised on auto trader from South Hereford Garages but with no pics for about the last 10 days or so, the description was equally unispiring and seemed like a real basic spec :( 2009 car with 78 K miles at just under £10K

Then when they decide to actually add some images, turns out to be a nice spec ed car with leather, Elec heated men seats, pano roof etc in blue

Note to self - phone up and check cars out even if the listing seems uninspiring !!!

So wonder if it's someone off here who bagged it ????

Ok, on with my obsessive hourly searching !!!!