Looking at buying an 8L

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking into buying a 8l S3.

Just wanting advice on anything to look out for when buying. Particularly engine/quattro wise.

I have found one I like online and I'm going to see it...

I have been told it has small blisters on the rear arches, is this a common problem for them? And is it a lot if any hassle to have repaired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The cars are a minimum of 14 years old, bubbling arches are minor concerns.
The shell and motor itself are the most solid parts, most everything else will have been replaced.

Reactions: Sean Gaffney
Be prepared to consider more than blistering arches, most S3s are money pits. If some paint bubbling is the main focus of issues then you have found a gem.

Reactions: JonnyDerv, Jeriho, andrew_wright and 1 other person
Anything that’s rubber.... is something to consider changing if they haven’t already, hoses, bushes, etc. These cars are getting to that age now. These are things I’ve been going about replacing recently. For pure love of the car, wouldn’t have anything else. I was driving behind one today around Slough, they stand out from all these new cars. A future classic in my eyes

Have a good read of the buyers guide as it covers most things you will need to know.

They are great cars and it's nice having something different, being a mechanic which a lot of owners i meet are helps!

Reactions: S3AMJ
Hehe those owners usually have another job and had to become a mechanic for day to day repairs.

Reactions: GRELA, andrew_wright, hydro s3 and 3 others
Scan if for fault codes if you can if not see it it wheel spins to test the Quattro, engine and turbo play not much you can do on a test drive I doubt they will do a compression test
Also see if they will throw in some axle stands ,
Just look out for the usual things when buying a car and make sure you have money put aside(seriously)

Reactions: S3AMJ and S3JACKSON
Hehe those owners usually have another job and had to become a mechanic for day to day repairs.

Haha, the truth.

We learn to weld broken clutch pedals by necessity, fit window mechanisms and bushes as needed and when a clutch replacement is the cost of the vehicle you do it yourself.

Prawn and Tuffty just took it one step further :whistle2:

Reactions: andrew_wright and S3AMJ
Having Tuffty on here is a Godsend:sunglasses:

Reactions: S3AMJ, Jeriho and andrew_wright
Cannot stress enough how setting money aside is important.

Reactions: Tj 0785 and S3AMJ
The stickie covers the majority of common issues. If it has a history then definitely check through receipts for big replacements such as Clutch and flywheel and on the test drive interrogate the 4WD. There shouldn;t be any wheel spinning or torque steer.

Good luck if you don;t like it mine will be up for sale once I find my next car I'm after