Looking at buying 2005 3.2 quattro 3door

stevo71

Reaction score
I am going to view a a3 3.2quattro on an 05 plate,69k miles and full history,is there anything i need to look out for with these cars ?,also price wise around £4k -4.5k about right ????

Watch out for cam chain problems which are very expensive to fix. Google R32 cam chain for more info.
The latest software update helps to resolve any flat spots as you accelerate. The transmission can be clonky on manual cars as you let out the clutch.

The brakes are really sensitive too , nearly stuffed the salesman through the dash first time I braked .
Awesome cars though , I love mine , they sound sooooooo nice .

As above and I find them slow and boring to drive.

cam chains aren't much of a common failure but are expensive. Have a look on r32.com and you'll find very few mk5s have had any issues. For the price they have decent enough performance, they won't set the world on fire as standard but neither will an s3. the 3.2 is not meant to be the performance version.

In standard trim it's a good cruiser, you don't need to change down gears because it's got a good amount of low down torque. It understeers more than a proper hot hatch. As already said the brakes will probably put your face in to the steering wheel the first time you use them, you get used to the sharpness quickly though.

usual audi problems to check for include rear wiper working, 4wd working, both engine fans working, just search the forum for others. none of those ones are usually that hard or expensive to fix.

modifying can be expensive.

As above and I find them slow and boring to drive.
can always count on you.... is there any car out there that is better than your s3???? please if your passing perth pop in and see me we can swap keys for an hour, I really need to see what 15 horses of a difference feels like .........

Reactions: omblad0n and Jake 61
It's a perfectly good car. My one is a 55 plate and I could have gone for three newer ones costing me £485 a year in tax, so I didn't. There were two 07 plate cars for half of the price of a similar aged S3, are they half the performance... no.
I wanted a car that was fast and it is.
Is it an S3, no it isn't, does it pick up and handle like an S3, no it doesn't, does it make quick progress, yes it does and it never fails to put a smile on my face while returning an average 33 mpg every day of the week.
My thrashing days are over, but, had I bought an S3, I would be nearly £10,000 more out of pocket and my licence would be in tatters.
Lastly, (and only my opinion), I have never been that impressed with the note from any S3, no matter how much the exhaust cost.
The 3.2 sounds absolutely immense with a decent exhaust, who needs a stereo.
;)

can always count on you.... is there any car out there that is better than your s3???? please if your passing perth pop in and see me we can swap keys for an hour, I really need to see what 15 horses of a difference feels like .........
When have I ever said that nothing's better than an S3? Please enlighten me cos I'd love to know, did it touch a nerve when I said I felt they was boring? IMO any turbo car is more fun to drive than a non turbo, an to make the 3.2 start to feel exciting you need to spend a hell of a lot of money. No denying there a nice comfy car to drive, the 15bhp extra doesn't sound a lot but when your off the lights it makes a big difference. With £4-500 an S3 or A3 tdi transforms into a different car, the 3.2 with a map will only push 285bhp hence why I I find them boring. I wasn't slagging the car!

So climb back down off your high horse mate an get looking for the thread where I've said the S3 is the be all and end all!

Reactions: RobCrezz
It's a perfectly good car. My one is a 55 plate and I could have gone for three newer ones costing me £485 a year in tax, so I didn't. There were two 07 plate cars for half of the price of a similar aged S3, are they half the performance... no.
I wanted a car that was fast and it is.
Is it an S3, no it isn't, does it pick up and handle like an S3, no it doesn't, does it make quick progress, yes it does and it never fails to put a smile on my face while returning an average 33 mpg every day of the week.
My thrashing days are over, but, had I bought an S3, I would be nearly £10,000 more out of pocket and my licence would be in tatters.
Lastly, (and only my opinion), I have never been that impressed with the note from any S3, no matter how much the exhaust cost.
The 3.2 sounds absolutely immense with a decent exhaust, who needs a stereo.
;)
Totally agree the 3.2 sounds lovely even with the standard exhaust, my mates golf R32 which is mapped and miltek fitted always makes me smile when it pulls up, sounds immense. As to my slow quote I meant form stand still compared to a turbo, that's what I like about the turbos your off an there quickly rather than half a mile down the road when the 3.2 starts opening up. Like I said I never slagged the car I actually looked at them before I went down the S3 route, but I just like a turbo on my cars. Each to their own.

Reactions: Jake 61
Seen as I don't get to go past Perth much on my daily commute thought this would be easier.

3.2 v6
6 cylinders
Top speed: 155mph
0-60: 6.3sec
BHP: 246
Valves: 24
Torque: 320Nm 236lb-ft

S3 2.0tfsi
4 cylinders
Top speed: 155mph
0-60: 5.5secs
BHP: 261
Valves: 16
Torque: 350Nm 258lb-ft

All could be argued of course.

Thanks for your informative rant

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423146813067.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1423146813067.png
    382.9 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: S3 AEX
Sadly I ran out of time searching through your posts, however I did find this .......

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423147437368.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1423147437368.png
    978.2 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: S3 AEX and DriverN00B
Have to agree with S3 AEX. Although the 3.2 makes a great sound, it never feels quick imo. Not that the S3 is a rocket ship, I have owned much faster cars, but its good all rounder and at least feels quite quick due to being turbo charged.

Reactions: S3 AEX
I've enjoyed owning and driving both the 3.2 and the S3.

They're very different cars,and have different strengths and weaknesses.

The 3.2 sounds lovely,and is an excellent cruiser,but against those are it's relative thirst,heavy understeer,and lack of tuning prospects unless it's turbo or supercharged.

The S3 doesn't have the creamy smooth engine,or the exhaust note of the 3.2,but it is possible to get it to go a LOT faster,for a smaller outlay, and if you're willing to spend a lot more,it can be properly quick.

In short,you pays your money and takes your pick.....they are very different cars.

Reactions: Jake 61, S3 AEX and DriverN00B