Longlife oil my **** - more like short life turbo

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Just serviced our TDi 130 yesterday and I couldn't believe the state of the oil I drained out of it. It was supposedly longlife Castrol and was only 10k miles old. I can only describe it as thick black gloss paint. I am now convinced that manufacturers are using this shyte to shorten the life of engines & especially turbo's to boost car sales and reduce the reliability of older cars. What a scam!

Oh dear, just about to drain mine out, meant to have Shell Helix Ultra longlife 2 in mine, replacing with Fuch LL stuff, hope mine is abit thinner.

Just serviced our TDi 130 yesterday and I couldn't believe the state of the oil I drained out of it. It was supposedly longlife Castrol and was only 10k miles old. I can only describe it as thick black gloss paint. I am now convinced that manufacturers are using this shyte to shorten the life of engines & especially turbo's to boost car sales and reduce the reliability of older cars. What a scam!

Longlife servicing was there to impress fleet managers - upto 20k between services, on a lot of cars makes a big difference. It's bad for cars as they get higher mileage, and IMO should all be on fixed servicing. Mine certainly is now, although I already had the oil line clogging problem

Chas

I abandoned it at about 60k, I now change the oil every 6k, convinced it has to be better for the engine.

In the US they have a very different attitude to servicing, based a lot more on oil changes. They have drop in garages where you can get an oil and filter change done while you wait - so 6k oil changes are dead easy. A good idea IMHO.

Saw those drive-in oil change places in the US - a top idea.

I just bought a suction pump for mine so I can change the oil at 10k intervals without needing to get underneath the car.

I scrapped my Longlife ******** when my engine and Turbo went Bannnngggg:sorry:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw those drive-in oil change places in the US - a top idea.

I just bought a suction pump for mine so I can change the oil at 10k intervals without needing to get underneath the car.

I've never liked the idea of those suction pumps, I much prefer just getting underneath the car and making sure all the crap comes out.

I also tend to pour about half a litre of clean oil through to make sure too.

Some cars (Smart for example) dont even have sump plug these days, As long as the oil and filter are changed regularly then there should be no crap build up.

It always sucks out 5 litres of oil, means the oil/flter change takes no more than 10 minutes!

i made a post recently aobut this in reply to a similar question.. it also killed my turbo. have a look at the lines running to the turbo mine became blocked solid. i believe this maybe an environmental issue, ie disposal of oils. i would strongly suggest checking replacing the plumbing up to the turbo as well at very least check them.. shame as otherwise the car (our C5 A6) has been bullet proof otherwise.

I've never liked the idea of those suction pumps, I much prefer just getting underneath the car and making sure all the crap comes out.

I also tend to pour about half a litre of clean oil through to make sure too.

Thats what I do I to dont like the idea of not removing the sump plug (If fitted ) As there is sometimes a magnet which atracts swarf and needs to be cleaned , Also all the oil should run out so no dirty stuff remains Im not convinced pumps do this

Surely the oil cannot be changed to often ??