Longitudinal Speed Sensor

pazaz

Reaction score
Anybody know what exactly this is and what it does??

Cheers

I think it measures body roll. It is one of the sensors that contributes to the traction control.

If it is on the way out then it manifests itself by the traction control coming on at random times and then staying on. E.g. going round a roundabout it comes on and stays on until the ignition is turned on and off.

mine has failed, and need to get it replaced. What happend is when I put my foot down and give it some beans the Traction Control and ABS lights come on. And stay on till you switch the car off.

Actually my car is having the sensor replaced next week.

Anyone know the part number? I have a feeling the sensor alone is £120! I understand there are two of them, located under the steering wheel (ish)?

I replaced mine last month and it was located behind the glovebox. Didn't pay for it thankfully as it was part of the deal buying the car so no idea how much it was.

Pretty simple to change though, 30 mins! So don't get ripped off with labour charges if you go to a dealer.

I think pre-facelift they are behind the glovebox, post facelift, it is under the steering column cowl. You're right, they are £100 or so - not bad for a 1 inch cube of plastic!!

Chaps are spot on its behind the glove box - changed my lat and lon sensors couple years back - pretty straight forward job

spiker said:
Chaps are spot on its behind the glove box - changed my lat and lon sensors couple years back - pretty straight forward job
It's only in that location for a pre-facelift car. Post facelift, it is under the steering column as previously mentioned.

i have one of these sensors bnew boxed for sale if one of you guys want it, pm me, i brought the sensor and it turned out to be the connector instead,

jcs356 said:
It's only in that location for a pre-facelift car. Post facelift, it is under the steering column as previously mentioned.

Mine is a facelift and was behind glovebox. Is an early facelift though and the supplier did say it could have been in either location.

yes but you may end up in a hedge

jonS3 said:
yes but you may end up in a hedge

Why would you? I always drive around with my ESP off. its miles more fun. ESP just kills the engine when its needed i.e when trying to pull out of a corner. ESP annoys me (most of the time)

******!!! looks like I missed out on that one for sale then..

Is there a way of checking if its the connector first??