Long delays for new orders due to WLTP emissions testing

TeaMonsta

Reaction score
Recently ordered a new A4 Avant S-line and spoke to the dealer yesterday about a change of spec which was agreed. The sales person informed me that due to the WLTP emissions testing, the delivery date (previously early September) is now not known and could be the end of the year as there are huge delays in production. I’ve Googled this and can only find information suggesting that the delays affect the SQ5; no mention of the A4. Does anyone know anything more about this? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sve170
What is the craic with this WLTP nonsense? It really is annoying when you want a new car. What are you going for spec wise?

Reactions: TeaMonsta
Reactions: TeaMonsta and WesT-gefül
Thanks for the replies. It is annoying. Never mind; I can wait. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. Couldn't find much on the subject but just need to know that they're not pulling the wool over my eyes for some reason.
Spec, by the way, is:
S-tronic gearbox
Adaptive sports suspension with damping control
Piano black inlays
Manhatten grey

Reactions: cuke2u and WesT-gefül
I have posted several posts on the “B9 A4/S4 Track your new car order thread” about this same issue as it threatened to be a factor regards my order. As it happens my original order has now progressed quickly and I am “out of the woods” so to speak but if you look at my posts you will see how significant an issue this is going to be for the factory this summer and it will have considerable effects on production. Hopefully once the transition is made with the factory production lines and new testing processes things will settle down.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and TeaMonsta
@ Toadoftoadhall - Thanks. I'll have a look at your posts. TBH, it's not really too much of an issue for me, I can wait. It would have been nice to have the car before winter really kicked in, though.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Ordered a 1.4 TFSI Avant Black Edition on 8th April and still no build date.

Reactions: doncarlyon
Ordered a 2.0TFSI Black Edition on 2nd May. Delivery date currently showing as 6th Sept but looks like I could be in for an even longer wait than that :(

Ordered a 2.0TFSI Black Edition on 2nd May. Delivery date currently showing as 6th Sept but looks like I could be in for an even longer wait than that :(
Better than having it delivered in the last week of August and having a "New Plate Car" for just a week I suppose!

Just the 1.4, I don't do many miles and would rather spend the money on optional extras.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and cuke2u
You might be lucky. I originally ordered on May 10th which had a Sept. 1st delivery date. Phoned the dealership the other day (June 12th) to see if I could change the manual gearbox for the S-Tronic. I could but was advised that they could not give me delivery date (possibly due to the new order going in after a cut-off date). So you might have just got your order in in time. Spoke to Audi customer service today who said that production on the A4 (and many other models) has been halted due to WLTP. So getting the S-Tronic gearbox has caused me a big delay. But worth it for the 'box, I think.....

Reactions: WesT-gefül
My A4 was ordered around the 10th of April and was delivered to the dealership the week before last...guess I was lucky.

I enquired about ordering a new S4 and I’ve been told if I order now, I would be looking at a delivery date of January because of this issue!

Mine was ordered in May for a June/July delivery. Just dont know which year ha ha.

Reactions: DaveW
Imagine the amount of orders audi will be losing due to this.

I'd happily cancel mine to be honest. I dont want the car that much.

What makes you think Audi are alone with this. The delay is caused by the very late release of the testing procedures, they were still only looking at the final draft proposal in the beginning of this year. Other European countries have offered a grace period after the 1 September for manufacturers to sell pre-WLTP cars off, but the UK Government is yet to announce such plans.
So blame our wonderful government..

Reactions: WesT-gefül, NevMan and rnm37
This affects all manufacturers, my dealer told me BMW have stopped production of the M3 as they can't make it meet the required standards.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and cuke2u
They can by adding another part to the exhaust but didn't deem it economically viable...however they are modifying the M4 as they sell better and will still be available.
This affects all manufacturers, my dealer told me BMW have stopped production of the M3 as they can't make it meet the required standards.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh I understand that this will have an impact on all manufacturers... but still, imagine the amount of potentially lost orders.

To me it would seem reasonable for orders placed before the implementation of the new testing standards to be tested against the old criteria (as theoretically the consumer might have been put off ordering by the new, higher post-WLTP CO2 emissions figure) ... but then again I'm biased and want my new car to arrive ASAP :)

I'm glad of the delay as it gave me time to add the Comfort & Sound pack, matrix headlamps and extended interior lighting to my spec.

Reactions: TeaMonsta and cuke2u
Just wondering what happens if cars ordered whilst production has been halted don’t get delivered until after the launch date of the facelift; will they arrive as facelifts? If Audi were to clear all current orders before pushing out the facelifts, they might not meet the launch date. It may be better to start the production line again with facelifts. Reckon that’s wishful thinking. And I hope I get my car way before that...

At the end of April I ordered a new company car A4 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 190PS S tronic 4 doors saloon and the dealer originally estimated the end of July to the first week of August for my delivery. Up to now the car still doesn't have a build week and the WLTP issue has prevented this from happening.
He advises that the changes for compliance to WLTP around engine performance, emissions, MPG etc... will be applied to the new car build, and potentially some MY2019 spec changes for extra items FOC... but I think this is just him fobbing me off because of the delays.

He says it will be around mid July now at the earliest before he can give me any further update. Dealers is Audi Halesowen, West Midlands who looks after our fleet services. Not sure how true the lead time may be now as it was due July/August, but if there are any added FOC extras they would be welcome, but I think he using some sales man stalling tactics haha...
Not sure when to expect the car now.?
cheers,

This is ridiculous isn’t it. Government should have implemented grace periods. It’s a nightmare for all involved! Suppose we can blame the cheating car manufacturers.

At the end of April I ordered a new company car A4 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 190PS S tronic 4 doors saloon and the dealer originally estimated the end of July to the first week of August for my delivery. Up to now the car still doesn't have a build week and the WLTP issue has prevented this from happening.
He advises that the changes for compliance to WLTP around engine performance, emissions, MPG etc... will be applied to the new car build, and potentially some MY2019 spec changes for extra items FOC... but I think this is just him fobbing me off because of the delays.

He says it will be around mid July now at the earliest before he can give me any further update. Dealers is Audi Halesowen, West Midlands who looks after our fleet services. Not sure how true the lead time may be now as it was due July/August, but if there are any added FOC extras they would be welcome, but I think he using some sales man stalling tactics haha...
Not sure when to expect the car now.?
cheers,
I was told the same about my order now being a MY2019 spec, as yet unknown. Last year they added heated seats, alcantara and some other goodies free of charge. Wonder what MY2019 will bring, or would this be a facelift model?

Reactions: Hambee1234
I was told the same about my order now being a MY2019 spec, as yet unknown. Last year they added heated seats, alcantara and some other goodies free of charge. Wonder what MY2019 will bring, or would this be a facelift model?

It would be what you ordered surely. The facelift is not out so you will be getting the current model you ordered. Did they not show you the spec?

It would be what you ordered surely. The facelift is not out so you will be getting the current model you ordered. Did they not show you the spec?
Nope, just said it would be a MY2019 model, not sure if they had anything concrete to back this up.

Are the full range of options usually available from the start with a facelift model? e.g. Black Edition? As this could potentially be problematic if orders do run into next year.

Not sure if it's similar to a new model launch where they typically drip feed the range (is the B9 A5 Black Edition still not available?)

@rnm37 If I remember correctly, the black edition was available as soon as the previous A4 B8.5 was released. Unless anybody can confirm otherwise. I do remember seeing them straight away after release so might still be the case with the facelifted B9.

I enquired about the black pack/black edition on the A5/S5 and none of the dealers have any notes from Audi UK. In fact as it stands, they are not sure they are ever going to be released on the A5.

Reactions: rnm37
@rnm37 If I remember correctly, the black edition was available as soon as the previous A4 B8.5 was released. Unless anybody can confirm otherwise. I do remember seeing them straight away after release so might still be the case with the facelifted B9.

I enquired about the black pack/black edition on the A5/S5 and none of the dealers have any notes from Audi UK. In fact as it stands, they are not sure they are ever going to be released on the A5.

I seem to recall my B8.5 A4 being right on the cusp of when they did the facelift because I wasn't sure if I'd get the new headlights or not, and I got the black edition no worries. That came on a 62 plate so must've been a MY13 versus the B8 being a MY12 and older if I'm correct.

Reactions: rnm37 and ScottishA4B9

If that's true about the A5 then their market research team should be sacked, considering how popular the previous model was in black edition guise.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and Daggerit
If that's true about the A5 then their market research team should be sacked, considering how popular the previous model was in black edition guise.

I definitely agree. Although I do also wonder if they did that to potentially push people into A4's since they've said before that the sales weren't as good as they wanted? If so I'd say that's a silly idea because there are options for A5 style cars from other manufacturers that people would probably move to before an A4 for the most part.

Just spoke to dealers again out of curiosity of reading the latest comments above, and he says that my car (ordered late April) will not be a facelift but will be MY2019 spec, with what ever free add on's that Audi decide to give ??, but as yet unknown. Facelift versions will be into 2019 before orders can be took for them. I have seen pics of the face lift with the 2 integrated fake exhausts like the A6 / Q5 (which I don't like tbh)

Reactions: Stuart Robertson and ScottishA4B9
Yes it is often the case from one MY version to another that any changes that upgrade the spec before the car is built are provided for at no extra cost, if there has been a increase in the price of the car.

Reactions: NevMan, Daggerit and Hambee1234