Locking wheel nuts with spacers

slayaz

Reaction score
Hi people.

I will be putting some spacers on my S3 (thanks @Magicfiver ), I've got 20mm back and 15mm front.

I have longer wheel bolts, but will need to get some locking wheel bolts, so my questions are;
  1. As the rear pacers are 20mm and the fronts are 15mm, can i get away with one set, or do i need to buy two sets?
  2. Anyone know the correct size(s)?
  3. Can you recommend any?
Many thanks!

Reactions: Magicfiver
I'm running a setup almost identical, but instead of 15mm front I went for 12mm.

1) Short answer is yes but there are conditions! Obviously the locking wheel bolts need to satisfy the 20mm spacers as a must. As long as they are long enough to engage all the thread in the hub, you will be ok. Usually this equates to 6-7 turns. I have the same length locking nuts on all wheels even though they are spaced to different levels. My locking nuts are 50mm in length front and back. This ensures good engagement all round and doesn't protrude from the rear of the hub (please please make sure you can freely rotate each wheel after fitting to ensure bolts are not protruding the rear of the hub BEFORE lowering the car).

2) Size, with regard to length, take this as a general rule. Wheel bolts need to be longer by at least the width of the spacer used. This ensures thread engagement in the hub remains unchanged.

3) My locking nuts were supplied with my spacers along with the extended bolts. The normal bolts were different lengths front and back, to cater exactly for the width of spacer used; ie my front bolts are 12mm longer than standard and rears are 20mm longer than standard. I got all of the kit from Graeme @ GNJ Motorsport. Spacers and locking nuts made by TPI.

If your using Audi supplied wheels and not aftermarket alloys, you will need to ensure the bolt is the correct shape. OEM bolts for Audi are usually Radius heads, make sure your aftermarket bolts are the same. Take one out to have a look if your unsure. Pic below shows the different types.

Some pics of some cars with the spacers you've chosen also available here and here.
image_3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: blodwen715 and slayaz
I'm running a setup almost identical, but instead of 15mm front I went for 12mm.

1) Short answer is yes but there are conditions! Obviously the locking wheel bolts need to satisfy the 20mm spacers as a must. As long as they are long enough to engage all the thread in the hub, you will be ok. Usually this equates to 6-7 turns. I have the same length locking nuts on all wheels even though they are spaced to different levels. My locking nuts are 50mm in length front and back. This ensures good engagement all round and doesn't protrude from the rear of the hub (please please make sure you can freely rotate each wheel after fitting to ensure bolts are not protruding the rear of the hub BEFORE lowering the car).

2) Size, with regard to length, take this as a general rule. Wheel bolts need to be longer by at least the width of the spacer used. This ensures thread engagement in the hub remains unchanged.

3) My locking nuts were supplied with my spacers along with the extended bolts. The normal bolts were different lengths front and back, to cater exactly for the width of spacer used; ie my front bolts are 12mm longer than standard and rears are 20mm longer than standard. I got all of the kit from Graeme @ GNJ Motorsport. Spacers and locking nuts made by TPI.

If your using Audi supplied wheels and not aftermarket alloys, you will need to ensure the bolt is the correct shape. OEM bolts for Audi are usually Radius heads, make sure your aftermarket bolts are the same. Take one out to have a look if your unsure. Pic below shows the different types.

Some pics of some cars with the spacers you've chosen also available here and here.
image_3.jpeg

Thanks for that. I measured the new longer length nut and have ordered some Tpi ones the same size (M14x1.5 r13 45mm)

Cheers!

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Don't forget to share some pics when it's done!

Just noticed your due to take delivery December 1st, nice Christmas present to yourself! :p

It's my birthday on the 16th so it's actually a birthday present!

I will definitely share when done.

I can't f@&King wait!!

Even better! I got a bit of a surprise with mine, was told no earlier than March 2014 unless a miracle happened, got a call on January 7th saying it's all ready to pick up if I'm ready to collect! Couldn't get there quicker ha

I'm expecting mine about the same time and have enquired about spacers (15mm all round and bolts/locking bolts), I am still waiting for the cost... If they have remembered me!!

This is the only mod I intend doing... at the moment!!

I'm expecting mine about the same time and have enquired about spacers (15mm all round and bolts/locking bolts), I am still waiting for the cost... If they have remembered me!!

This is the only mod I intend doing... at the moment!!
Did you order from GNJ? Graeme there was able to supply me with everything I needed in one box; spacers, extended bolts, locking bolts and socket, all from TPI. Good instructions supplied as well, making sure the hub is prepped and how to check the spacer is sat flush etc

Did you order from GNJ? Graeme there was able to supply me with everything I needed in one box; spacers, extended bolts, locking bolts and socket, all from TPI. Good instructions supplied as well, making sure the hub is prepped and how to check the spacer is sat flush etc

No I only enquired at Unit20 not ordered, thanks for the hint, I will ask them too for a quote!

GNJ Motosport frequent these forums as well.

Makes the car look so much better IMO. Audi love hiding those lovely wheels in the arches for some reason..haven't had any issues with mine. Have had them on and off a bit but have done close to 8k miles with them fitted. Still look as good as the day I got them, the black finish on the TPI spacers is very nice indeed!

Just out of curiosity, what hub prep was needed? I got mine used so there was no instructions. They look clean and hardly used though.

@Wondering Soul Any chance you could upload some pictures with your spacers? Only because I'm considering having 12mm front and 15mm rear - nothing too aggressive and also some Einbach Sportline springs for a slight better stance.

Reactions: slayaz
Just out of curiosity, what hub prep was needed? I got mine used so there was no instructions. They look clean and hardly used though.
You basically need to ensure that the hub surface is smooth and clean to the touch, same goes for the contact sides of the spacers. I used a reasonably soft wire brush to get any gunk off of the hub and then washed with water on a cloth and dried it off. Make sure it is totally dry before fitting. The spacer should drop nice and easy onto the hub, if it's difficult to press on, might want to check everything is clean!
@Wondering Soul Any chance you could upload some pictures with your spacers? Only because I'm considering having 12mm front and 15mm rear - nothing too aggressive and also some Einbach Sportline springs for a slight better stance.
Will snap a few pics when I go out for late lunch from work today. I'm running 12mm front and 20mm rear, but I do like a bit of stance :p

Reactions: slayaz
You basically need to ensure that the hub surface is smooth and clean to the touch, same goes for the contact sides of the spacers. I used a reasonably soft wire brush to get any gunk off of the hub and then washed with water on a cloth and dried it off. Make sure it is totally dry before fitting. The spacer should drop nice and easy onto the hub, if it's difficult to press on, might want to check everything is clean!

Will snap a few pics when I go out for late lunch from work today. I'm running 12mm front and 20mm rear, but I do like a bit of stance :p
Thanks for the info.

I'll make sure they are spotless and dry!

Not the best of pics as really didn't have much time and was losing light fast!

Front to back
image_4.jpeg

Back
image_zpsv41wrbix.jpeg

View from back
image_zpsf0d6wbli.png

Reactions: Fiddie
Wow mate, really like the stance on that. Our wheels really are hidden in the arches from factory, your pictures make we want spacers even more now :grin:

Thanks for the comments!

@MA3RC no not at all! Was thinking of getting some Eibach Sportlines when I got the spacers, but have some plans for the long term future of the car so will wait until I can get some coilovers (will sort out the pogo stick bounce of OEM dampers as well hopefully!!)

Thanks for the comments!

@MA3RC no not at all! Was thinking of getting some Eibach Sportlines when I got the spacers, but have some plans for the long term future of the car so will wait until I can get some coilovers (will sort out the pogo stick bounce of OEM dampers as well hopefully!!)
That's good to know :) I love the look of your car, not usually a fan of silver but there's something about yours that ticks the box.

My A3 sits about 5mm lower than yours, not a great deal but I'm tempted by spacers after seeing this!

Reactions: SJ43 and Wondering Soul
Thanks dude!

If your sitting on some Eibach Pro's is 5mm the standard drop on them? The only thing that bothers me at the moment is the front height, would love to get that down a bit. I think 5mm would be perfect for me with the current spacer setup, couldn't do much more at the rear anyway. Just need to try and resist buying any and hold fire for the coilovers..lol

Reactions: SJ43
I don't have an S3 so the eibach pros are a 30mm drop from standard which is 5mm below an S3? As they're 25mm from the SE?

I've not had any problems at all, it's not mega low but it ate up some of that arch gap and has the sporty but not slammed look. But that's what I wanted. I didn't want any faff with pot holes etc and I'm living on a new estate where they're still building and you need a step ladder to make it up the curb!

So I think your spacer set up will work well for me :) roll on Xmas haha

Reactions: SJ43 and Wondering Soul
Ah right yeah, I think the Pro's for the S3 only drop 10-15mm actually, I would have to get a set of Sportlines to drop 20-25mm. It's getting difficult to wait for coils now :p I wouldn't actually be able to do much more than 10mm at the rear with the current spacers, would likely have arch rubbing issues!

Sporty not slammed is a good choice though, often see a few around my area that are a little too low and wide. I was trying to go for a slightly more aggressive look but nothing too severe as I wanted to keep the standard OEM wheels on.

Think there will be some nice pictures on here come January when we've got all our bits :p

Reactions: SJ43
I'd echo both your comments above guys, I've currently got S-line suspension option ticked which gives the lower set-up compared to normal S-line A3's that come with 'Sport' suspension (which I think means it has the same ride height as non-magnaride S3's?).

Its a shame we can't go for sportlines on the front and pro's on the back lol, as I dont think the rear needs the drop as much as the front does.

I'll also be purchasing some springs and spacers in the first quarter of next year so will upload pics once they're on, pretty much decided on 12mm front and 15mm rears for spacers, but springs I'm still undecided on between pro's or sportlines as I want to maintain an OEM look too and dont want to hinder practicality hugely for daily driving and for other family members who drive my car from time to time.

I have just got some 8mm front spacers and 16mm rear spacers....im on stock s3 wheels and need to know wot bolt length i need for each spacer....thanks

I have just got some 8mm front spacers and 16mm rear spacers....im on stock s3 wheels and need to know wot bolt length i need for each spacer....thanks
You just need the default bolt length (25mm) + whatever size spacer you're using. So 16+ 25 = 41mm bolt and 25+8 = 33mm.

Awesomegti do some bolts, or you can find them on ebay etc. It shouldn't matter if there's 1-2mm difference. So long as you get a good 6-8 full turns of the bolt before it bites and tightens then you should be good to go :) hope this helps

You just need the default bolt length (25mm) + whatever size spacer you're using. So 16+ 25 = 41mm bolt and 25+8 = 33mm.

Awesomegti do some bolts, or you can find them on ebay etc. It shouldn't matter if there's 1-2mm difference. So long as you get a good 6-8 full turns of the bolt before it bites and tightens then you should be good to go :) hope this helps

SWeet thanks bud :)

Tapered or radius seat for stock wheels?

They'd be radius as well, mine were. Tapered are usually aftermarket wheels