Locking wheel bolts

Chris5

Reaction score
I bought 20mm rear and 16mm front wheel spacers for my s3.

I got extended wheel nuts to match so 45mm wheel nuts for the rear and 40mm for the front.

I'm looking to get a set of locking wheel nuts but they come in a pack of 4 so is it possible just to buy a pack of 4 at the longer 45mm size or would this cause a problem as they would be longer at the front.

I run 20mm rear and 12mm front, have 45mm lockers all round. Most important thing to do is ensure that the wheel can rotate freely before you put anything back together. Get behind the hub and make sure that nothing is protruding the rear side and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Chris5
If yous is fine then mine should be ok. I'm getting a garage to fit them same time as my springs so I won't get a chance to check.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Slightly off the original topic I know but something which occurred to me given someone has previously attempted to pinch my wheels - are the standard locking bolts any good or is better to change them?

If they never managed to get them the must be good enough. Wouldn't see the need to change them but others might tell you different

Slightly off the original topic I know but something which occurred to me given someone has previously attempted to pinch my wheels - are the standard locking bolts any good or is better to change them?
Not really, I use aftermarket ones on my car but they are no safer. Most garages carry a 'fits all' for their fleet. Most companies only have 8-12 variations on the nut as well. Even then, decent socket driver and a hammer and they're on their way with your wheels!

I helped a colleague at work the other week, she went to leave and had a flat so offered to change to the spare for her. Couldn't get her locking nut out as it had been over tightened with an impact gun. Got a slightly larger impact socket with teeth inside it, hammered it to the nut and away we went.

Just remember, if someone wants your wheels, they will take your wheels!

Reactions: Chris5