Locking nuts from hell...

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
My car needs rear disc brakes BADLY so I bought the parts and tried to take the wheels off but the locking nut key was rounded off, ok no biggie ill just take it to a garage and get them air chiseled off... Nope, FOUR garages later and none of them have got any nut to turn a tiny bit (despite 2 of the garages guaranteeing me success).

So 6 days and many garages later I decided to try myself... I tried to drill the security ring off and went through roughly £30 worth of drill bits with 0 luck, I even tried an SDS chisel and the nuts still looked exactly the same as day 1, then I found a new wheel brace which ive never used which had the perfect size socket to wack on so I did and managed to get 1 security ring off, now i'm getting somewhere so I tried to wack a big socket over it which gripped amazing until it caved in which now means no socket at all will fit on it...

Many people and many drills have tried to drill directly down the middle of the nuts and have barely, barely dented it its like its made from some alien material. Where are alloys theifs when you need them ? :rolleyes new:

Reverse thread locking nut removal sockets have also been tried but no one has been able to remove the security rings.
Anyway rant over if anyone has any ideas they definitely will be tried :help:

Last edited:
nuts/bolts which ever!!
TBH It's a huge difference because on bolt you can weld high tensile 17mm nut on it. Instead on nut you can cut it or drill one side to get it off.

Good god unlucky, are they original locking nuts? Who was last to tighten them up? I had a similar issue, took garage over an hour to get them off. Do you have flashy wheels? These locking bolts cause too much grief in many cases, put normal nuts on... who nicks wheel these days ?

Good god unlucky, are they original locking nuts? Who was last to tighten them up? I had a similar issue, took garage over an hour to get them off. Do you have flashy wheels? These locking bolts cause too much grief in many cases, put normal nuts on... who nicks wheel these days ?

I think they're definitely factory bolts, I noticed in the service history they were refurbedished roughly 1 year ago so I think that was the last time they was off (they need refurbing again after this). These are the alloys, not that flashy in my opinion

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 140
It's cause of people that don't know that they should torque them down, on a3 pre facelift it is 120NM on my fiesta was 80NM, and I set them always approx there, first to remove is locking nut ALWAYS and last to being tighten, to avoid problems with these, an I can tell you that many people stealing them, if not whole cars. But yes best to weld them and get some new ones.

My car needs rear disc brakes BADLY so I bought the parts and tried to take the wheels off but the locking nut key was rounded off, ok no biggie ill just take it to a garage and get them air chiseled off... Nope, FOUR garages later and none of them have got any nut to turn a tiny bit (despite 2 of the garages guaranteeing me success).

So 6 days and many garages later I decided to try myself... I tried to drill the security ring off and went through roughly £30 worth of drill bits with 0 luck, I even tried an SDS chisel and the nuts still looked exactly the same as day 1, then I found a new wheel brace which ive never used which had the perfect size socket to wack on so I did and managed to get 1 security ring off, now i'm getting somewhere so I tried to wack a big socket over it which gripped amazing until it caved in which now means no socket at all will fit on it...

Many people and many drills have tried to drill directly down the middle of the nuts and have barely, barely dented it its like its made from some alien material. Where are alloys theifs when you need them ? :rolleyes new:

Reverse thread locking nut removal sockets have also been tried but no one has been able to remove the security rings.

I know it's a bit late now but what you should have done is gone to Audi or TPS and bought another locking wheel nut the same as the locking bolts that are already on. If the bolts still don't come out you have to put the locking nut on and whack it very hard with a hammer which shocks the bolts and then they will come out. While doing this you may need a longer bar aswell to get more purchase to remove the bolts.
I know this as I had the same thing about 2 month ago and I went and bought a new nut and then went to a tyre garage and it took them about 2 minutes to do it.

nuts? unless you didn't changed it, you should get the bolts, anyway try to tighten other four more so you will get less pressure on it, then if it's round use the security socket removal tool that basically more you turning it to unscrew more it tighten on the nut.
Like these: https://www.bes.co.uk/irwin-bolt-gr...UpgVlqQBxF36a-WaioZ6kz9gUx_PE0LiMAaArDJ8P8HAQ
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt-nut-remover-set-6-pieces/6083D?kpid=6083D

Those have been tried I've not seen them be tried on the car but a garage told me they tried those and it was just spinning cause of the security ring and they couldn't get the security ring off

Have you tried a cobalt drill??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried a cobalt drill??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah tried, barely put a hole in it, we tried the tiniest of drill bits and tried to work our way up to the bigger ones but it barely done anything but snap the drill bits:weary:

Carbide drills last resort!

I had to use one of those to drill a bolt out of my split rims when I were splitting them as one had snapped. Tip with it were to drill slowly and keep it lubricated, no other drill bits would touch it

I had the same problem, I bought a locking nut remover from eBay then sold it back on eBay for more money that I bought it for. It was the same tool as the AA and RAC use. Still wasn't that easy though! I used/broke three of the keys and had to park the car next to a wall and use wood to keep horizontal pressure on the breaker bar and a jack to keep the tool steady. Won't work on the security bolts you knackered though unfortunately probably have to weld something to that. I'd sue it on the rest and then sell it again!