Locking and key fob keyless start problems s3 8V???

lakers1234

Reaction score
hi all,

So I have a 64 plate Audi s3 with keyless start / keyless entry

The car isn’t locking with the fob, and no light is flashing on the key either.

I changed the battery but still no luck.

If I get into the car and try to start it, it keeps saying Key not identified , and I try to hold it next to the lower steering Column key identifier but it takes at least 10 presses of the ‘start’ button for the car to recognise the key, and then whilst I’m driving it keeps saying “key not in vehicle” or something along those lines and shows a question mark with a key symbol on the dash

I only received one key with this car as I bought it from a salvage auction

But I just don’t know what it could be?

Anyone had any similar experiences or knowledge on this?

I’m guessing it sounds like it could be the key because no lights are flashing on the key even after changing the battery but I don’t know?

Thanks

Have you tried another battery not unusual for them to go bad especially if it is new old stock, try and buy it from somewhere that has a high turn over of stock. Are the battery terminals clean etc.....

Is the orientation of the key important too ? I took apart the same style key for a VW New Beetle to replace the key case and the tiny RFID? capsule was in the end of the of the key....

Screenshot 2019 03 20 at 192011

The manual seems to suggest that it should start with a dead battery in the fob, but suggests you then drive to a workshop.....

Screenshot 2019 03 20 at 190656
Screenshot 2019 03 20 at 190518

The fact that it works sometimes is suspicious .... Otherwise drive it straight to somewhere that can programme a new key !

I have the same system and did wonder what would happen when the battery died as there is no where to put a key !

Last edited:
Reactions: lakers1234
I wouldn’t be driving around hoping it would start next time.
Suggest you get to a dealer asap.

Ideally diagnostically check for key awareness before condemning.

Hi just an update guys

As I previously mentioned, that I changed the battery in the key fob and it didn’t make the slightest bit of difference.

Well I thought I’d try once more, another battery, this time a different brand and funnily enough everything is back to normal, so it was the battery in the key fob after all.

Thank you all for your help and advice. And a special thank you to @jrumball for sending those pics and the long reply. :)