Locked keys in the car

BeagleKCH

Reaction score
A word of warning....

So here we are on the way to the airport. Pull over at a petrol station. My wife and I get out of the car with the keys under the armrest. She opens and closes the boot and the car locks! Thankfully our 5 year old is still inside and over the noise of the alarm is persuaded to retrieve the keys and open the car. Otherwise we would have been stuffed.

That's strange as my car has never done this, I wonder if there is a setting in the mmi..

Wow - yeah I thought there were safeguards against those kind of things! Worrying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It normally would never be an issue for me because I always put the keys in my pocket. On this occasion my wife was driving. When I get back from holiday I'm going to recreate the situation at home. I never realised that closing the boot locked the car.

Must be an option somewhere as Cuke says. It's a bit backward if not!

I find that strange because in my B8.5 the boot wouldn't stay shut if the keys were in the car for this exact reason!

My boot has two buttons, one to close and one to close and lock. If the keys are in the car or a door open ajar the lock button does nothing.

You may have stumbled upon a fault

You have a Avant, the OP has a saloon, but yes possibly a fault although it might be possible in you've not got the advanced key..

It normally would never be an issue for me because I always put the keys in my pocket. On this occasion my wife was driving. When I get back from holiday I'm going to recreate the situation at home. I never realised that closing the boot locked the car.

I can't believe that is by design - worth looking at. In the meantime, enjoy the holiday!

Reactions: BeagleKCH
My Avant only has one button to close it. Ive only got the standard key fob system, no touch to lock.

Something I thought of - is that under the armrest (on the front toward the shifter) is where the 'pairing' or detection unit is for the key. I wonder if there is some special function that occurs when placed there for the boot?
Seems extreme but worth a thought / mention to the dealer if you Pursue it with Audi.

Reactions: BeagleKCH
Interesting, mine (Avant) won't lock with keys inside using buttons on doors or boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That cant be right! there's been a couple times I've almost done this but was reminded by the Mrs that ill be locked out and both times I've laughed at her
telling her it doesn't work like that with my car (but we've grabbed the key anyway just to be on the safe side) I'm gonna try it shortly on the driveway n see what happens...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That cant be right! there's been a couple times I've almost done this but was reminded by the Mrs that ill be locked out and both times I've laughed at her
telling her it doesn't work like that with my car (but we've grabbed the key anyway just to be on the safe side) I'm gonna try it shortly on the driveway n see what happens...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Please post your results. I'm still abroad. It is just about possible that in our panic at the petrol station that I didn't try the door handles once the car had locked - although I'm sure I did.

I've got home and tried to replicate the event countless times without success. Try as I might, I couldn't get the car to lock with the keys inside. The only variable in my test was that I didn't have a passenger in the rear, and I would have thought that if the car detected an occupant it would make it less likely, rather than more likely to lock with the passenger inside. I'll just have to put it down to a querky one-off.