lock set and ecu pre vs post facelift

murran

Reaction score
My ex's keys have been stolen with her handbag. Can only see a matching 1600 a4 lock set, key reader, key and engine ecu on ebay for a post facelift 2001 b5. Would all this be plug and play on a pre face lift early 98 a4?

Not sure if the FL and PFL door lock barrels are the same.

Cant you get the key code and just get some keys made? The key blade from the dealer is only 60odd quid and they'll make it up to fit the cars factory locks.

You dont need the engine ECU, the new transponder can easily be coded back in with Vagtacho etc.

Thing is time too. Cars sat in a multistorey car park in sheffield center. Guna be awquard to recover and theyre charging full rate of 5.50 for however long its there for. Have to ring tps on tuesday. Whats the turn around on getting a key shaft from them you think?

Put the car on trade so any tickets you get will not be payable to you then get a key made at a good locksmith and code it with vcds if you know the pin or use vag tacho or similar to retrieve the 4 digit pin. I am sure you can get the car out of the carpark easily- buy a ticket on the day and use that to get out...

Is the car parked in gear?

Isn't there anything the RAC/AA can do? (Assuming you're a member)

Have you checked your insurance cover? Some include lost or stolen key cover as standard but not many.

You could try and ring Audi for the key code and order a blade off ebay cut to the code. I've ordered two for two different cars. Had no problems. Was about £9 for each blade. Buy a used remote fob to fit the blade to.

Getting it recovered on tuesday to the garage i work at. How would i break into it? Thru the boot? Drill the lock and pull on the rods? Find the central locking pump and dose of air down the pipe to open the doors? Its not got fold down rear seats.
Lock smith we use at work would need the lock from the door taking to him to match up and cut a key shaft.

Would tps know the key code on an old car like this? And lock smith can cut a key to that code so i dont have to break in?

I would break rear quarter window to gain access.
I'm not sure if tps would know the key code, that will be either dealer only or on the little black plastic tag that would have come with the car from new.

Neither TPS or Audi would give you the pin code, you can have a key cut by any locksmith worth it's salt, the one i use has a thingy that opens the car without breaking any glass and also could cut keys based on reg numbers as long as the car is in your name !

I have previously ordered a new key, already cut from audi. That was for 8P S3. That was around £50.
Just had to go to have immo coded, but on older models you can do it with vag tacho.

yeh the dealer will make a key to the original code your car used, but they wont give you the code.

The £60 for the key is less than the cost of fixing the glass or other damage you'll do breaking in...