Loan car from Audi

ImS3ola

Reaction score
Could someone tell me how exactly these things work. I've never got one before, but i've got my car booked in with Audi for a service and asked for a loan car. The lady started saying i'd have to pay for it (cant remember how much) and that they'd be a £2500 xs on it! I always thought these things were free - you just have to pay for the fuel you use, and obviously the xs in case of any damage. Am i completely barking up the wrong tree, or do you have to pay for these things?

Last time I went in for a service and got a courtesy car, had to sign a excess of £1000 and took a copy of the DL, they say you should also replace the fuel you use. However they've never checked it, sounds strange that you have to 'pay' for the loan car, especially when the service costs the earth!

whoah, sounds like their taking the P there.

OK my local dealer may never have any courtessy cars at short notice, but they're always available to book, they cost nothing, and the excess is £0.

I had a loaner from Cardiff Audi a couple of months ago - same story as Jester, although I couldn't find the paper counterpart of my DL so they had to call the DVLA to check my details.

i had a brand spank new a4 when i had mine serviced and was free i had to give them a copy or the d/l, had to give the car back with the fuel it came with and the x's was £500 payed by me and £500 by the dealer if any thing happened. im 23 so i dont know if the age comes into it.

excess is always between £1000 - £2500 for demo's and courtesy cars (if unaccompanied) in my experience.

If your vehicle is 'just' in for a service dealers are not obligated to give you a courtesy car, however if you state you would like one on the day of your service, the dealer should be able to give you a vehicle (if available) and at worst they will charge you £10 to add you onto there insurance.

For warranty work they are pretty much obligated to give you a loan vehicle. Having said all that, if you turn up on the day of your service in say a RS6 or similar im sure the dealer would give you a courtesy car especially if the vehicle was purchased from them.

So its probably dealers discretion, depending on who you are and what you drive. Sad but true.

Copy of D/L is always needed.

madvw said:
whoah, sounds like their taking the P there.

OK my local dealer may never have any courtessy cars at short notice, but they're always available to book, they cost nothing, and the excess is £0.

I sent mine in (Ingram Audi, Ayr) for an MOT it was supposed to get before I received it & got the exact same treatment as MadVW. I also didn't have to hand in my DL.

At Aston Green Audi I had a brand new TT for the day on a cheapish service, checked around the car with the service chap noted any damage and told I'd have to pay the first £500 of any damage - no a problem with that.

They didn't care about petrol and tyres as I was trying my hardest all day to get the traction control light to have a flashing fit and no luck.

All that said this was some time ago and I know some rules about insurance changed a while back.

I've never had to pay for the various courtesy cars I've had from all sorts of dealers, these include Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and VW, though VW asked me to get cover for the loan car through my own insurance policy, which cost nothing, I just needed a cover note. Needed to copy my DL though for all cases.
The guy at Audi gave me an Audi A4 1.8T as a courtesy car, and apologised that he didn't have anything quicker lol.... thing was, this car was remapped, and felt nearly as quick as my S3 on the straights, but with standard suspension and brakes, handling was another story lol. :racer:

east kent audi gave me a a2,siad that was all they had availible,2 days later they rang and asked what i thought of there service,to which i repleid that i was very ****** of, that i took a s3 in, and came out with the a2,its now on file that they have to give me something closer to my s3

My Wife takes her A3 1.8T into Tonbridge Audi.
She had to pay a £10 waver or she would have had a £1000 excess.
She usually gets an A3 s line 20tdi. which is in my opinion a very nice A3.

Shame they have had the A3 3 times now and is due to go back for the 4th for a front wiper fault.

Been 19 audi won't even give me a courtesy car, my worcester dealer says i need to be 21 and hereford says 25. I find it a bit shocking they can't give me a 2 litre diesel after they let me have a half an hour test drive in the new RS4....

Dave

mintie said:
east kent audi gave me a a2,siad that was all they had availible,2 days later they rang and asked what i thought of there service,to which i repleid that i was very ****** of, that i took a s3 in, and came out with the a2,its now on file that they have to give me something closer to my s3

Blimey, I bet they loved you. Surely a loan car is just to get you from A to B? Perhaps you should ask for an RS4 next time?

mintie said:

Sorry, but here I think you're the one taking the pi$$. Since when have car dealers had an obligation to give customers like-for-like loaners?! It is a courtesy car, that's all. Get over yourself.

I had a loaner FOC last week from Eastbourne Audi. It was a near-new A3 1.6 Sportback. I was told to bring my photocard licence, but when I got there they didn't ask to see it. There was an excess, but I can't remember offhand how much it was. The only cost to me was the petrol, & I think I did 40 miles.

I'd booked it with about 10 days' notice. Other dealers I've used have offered me a car & I've declined because normally I don't need one (I go to work by train - last week was an out-of-towner). On those occasions, they've then either offered to take me to the railway station after dropping the car off, or collected it from home & delivered it back.

This is clearly something that is left to dealers' discretion. They are running a business, so it's up to them to exercise their commercial judgement.