B9 "loads of water coming out your exhausts mate"

Terminator x

Reaction score
So I overtook someone today on a DC and we both stopped at some lights shortly after. This chaps toots me, I look over and he says "you have water coming out your exhaust". I replied "probably just cold" to which he replied as thread title above. Is water from the exhaust ever indicative of "a problem" and just out of interest why does it happen as I see it all the time on other cars?

TX.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I'd suggest it just a build up of condensation, nothing to worry about.

I've seen water pile out of the back of a B7 I was following once, same time of year.

Reactions: Daggerit, WesT-gefül and Terminator x
I'd suggest it just a build up of condensation, nothing to worry about.

I've seen water pile out of the back of a B7 I was following once, same time of year.

Agreed. Because it’s cold outside it’s more prone to condensation build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rapport25 and Terminator x
When petrol is burnt it produces CO2 and water vapour.

When the car is cold it will run a specific mixture that may result in more water vapour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rapport25, Daggerit and Terminator x
All above is correct . That is why if a vehicle constantly does short runs the exhaust can't "dry out" and that is why they rot (mild steel ones anyway)
Chris

Reactions: Terminator x
All above is correct . That is why if a vehicle constantly does short runs the exhaust can't "dry out" and that is why they rot (mild steel ones anyway)
Chris

....and they now make exhaust silencers with a hole in them to drain the water away after the car has stopped.

Chris
It does a reasonable amount of short local runs so probably this then.

TX.

For every gallon of petrol you burn you produce a gallon on water.

When cold this is seen as liquid at the tail pipe changing to the familiar white vapour as the exhaust which was acting as a condenser warms up. Once the exhaust is fully warm and the ambient temp above the due point you should see nothing.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x
It's not entirely down to cold weather either, if the humidity is high any water molecules produced by the exhaust cannot be absorbed by the air, thus it stays as water...