Load drone at 2400 rpm - help

Rubz

Reaction score
hi all,

My 2011 a3 170hp quattro has developed a drone only when under load at 2400 rpm. It's noticeable from 3rd gear onwards. When at cruise speed 70-80 mph is when its there. But before and after 2400rpm there is no noise. It also doesnt happen if you just rev up to that rpm when coasting in neutral or when stationary.

My feeling its an exhaust issue but could be completely wrong. The noise goes through the whole car when is there.

Anyone know what or where it could be coming from?

Thanks, Euan.

Any non Audi oe exhaust system can sound like this. Other than that, one of the driveline parts is playing up.

Most likely the haldex, When I got my car inspected he told me it was seized or something and would drone under load. Sure enough after he told me this I started to notice it so yea :D

Had it confirmed that it is the haldex bearing between the prop shaft and the rear diff making the noise. Been quoted £320 for the part. Suppose thats better rather than having to fork out for new prop & bearing at roughly £1500.

Are you really getting it changed? My garage said the only thing it would fix is a drone sound and will cause no damage to anything up there if left - IE A waste of money if you turn up the radio its gone :B