Living with an S4 Cabriolet

baynesey

well you better unsell them, sharpish!
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've owned a B6 A4 Avant now for 3.5 years, as I'm now going to be working in London for the foreseeable future we only need one car (I have a motorbike too) we are thinking of something quite special (to us anyway) an S4 Cabriolet circa 2005. We have one son who is 5 and don't plan to have anymore, so what's a car like this like to live with, the missus will be doing the school run, then onto work, approx 30 miles a day - what are servicing/running costs, are they prone to any common failures, my A4 has run like a dream for the time I've had it putting over 40k on it.

Your advice would be gratefully appreciated

:cool:

we have a b7 cab, and also have one son who is under 2.
we have had the car for longer than our son has been alive and i must admit it has crossed our minds to change, but its managable. The boot is as big as the salon version and the rear seats are perfect for kids, (high sides). So i think you'll be fine and at the same time, its something a little 'special'.

Hope it helps.

I've had a B7 1.8T for 7 months and I love it - if only I could afford an S4......

Have owned 2006 S4 cab tip for 7 months of joyous driving experience........ Car standard with plenty of options and goes well in a kinda civilized audi kinda way.......Acceleration fun (other car is 911)........ The Tip gearbox makes life in town a little easier and allows you to have a little more fun when you want to......Only real drawback is the petrol consumption.....if this is a consideration for you then think again......if however you are willing to wear this low MPG for the fantastic V8 then go ahead.....!!!! PS Bought the audi for the Mrs and use it now as much if not more than the 911 which shows you the appeal........!!!! Can't comment on the kid friendly aspect as don't have any.......!!!! cheers

Hi I owned a 2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet for 2 years and loved every minute of it, lovely car, fast and handles well, miss it. The only real issue with the V8 engine is cam chain follower failure, if you look around forums you will get lots of references to it. If the chain or followers fail its a big bill £4000 plus. Make sure the engine is stone cold when you view and listen for a distinctive rattle at start up which last just a few seconds.

The solution appears to be to take the engine off long life oil changes with a good flush and new oil every 8000 miles or so

Strangely my current insurance and tax is the same for my 2.0 FSI Turbo, so same running costs as a lot of cars in that respect

Other than the high petrol consumption I would have one again no probs