Little surprises?

Re-reading it, I can see the confusion - what I meant was that there's no way to set music not to come on every time, but still have use of all the other systems.

"If you press and hold the volume knob for a couple of seconds, it switches it off I believe."

It does not come on next time you start the car if you switched it off before you switched the car off last time.

Yes, I am aware of this... that's not what I was saying.

"there's no way to set music not to come on every time, but still have use of all the other systems."

That is what most people are annoyed about.

When you're low on fuel I love that the final LED of the fuel light goes red and the sat nav offers to direct you to a filling station! Cars these days!

Reactions: Q5 TRS
We put the roof down tonight at the Blackpool illuminations. Being an October evening on the Irish Sea coast, we naturally put the heater up to 'HI' on both sides of the climate control. When we reached the end of the lights and put the roof back up, the heater automatically reverted to the 19 degrees we had it set at previously!

Last edited:
Reactions: batch, LuisM, illingworth22 and 1 other person
Yes, I am aware of this... that's not what I was saying.

"there's no way to set music not to come on every time, but still have use of all the other systems."

That is what most people are annoyed about.
I often leave mine on iPod/AMI. I don't always plug my iPhone in, so when I turn on the ignition no music plays.

Bit of a negative :( We got off the ferry this morning in Rotterdam and set off for Germany. The time on the MMI was still reading UK time, even though it is set to update by GPS. "Not a worry" I thought, "it'll drop in soon enough." After half an hour though, it hadn't, despite our having set a German destination on the sat nav and it navigating fine - albeit with a forecast arrival time an hour early. I eventually lost patience, played around with the MMI and found that I needed to change the time zone from UK to Central Europe; I really would have expected this to happen automatically, given that it is set to update from GPS and the car 'knew' where it was.

It really is pretty poor that the clocks don't automatically update. Who the hell made that decision?

It really is pretty poor that the clocks don't automatically update. Who the hell made that decision?

Agreed. In fact, I think it's downright shoddy. I have a DAB radio in my kitchen that cost about £100, as soon as I plugged it in in Germany, it figured out where in the world it was and displayed the correct time, but my £28k car can't? Poor show, Audi.

I have the clock showing in my DIS all the time. It's just one of the options and it appears in the section one below the top top of the DIS. The date is not normally showing but the middle section can be changes using the steering wheel left hand thumb wheel to show overall distance since last zeroed, current journey miles and time, average speed for journey, average mpg both overall and for this journey and miles left in the tank and date. The total miles to date and the trip reading are in the next section and the outside temperature and current gear in the lower section. For more details of what settings are available see page 27 of the Owners Manual.

Reactions: veeeight
If you have an address in your phone as well as phone number you can load it straight into the nav!

Press 0.0 once and it will display date, time, odometer, and trip mileage.
Press 0.0 a second time and it will reset the trip.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
I never even realized the 0.0 button (had the car a
month) Thanks veeeight.

If you press it while it is showing the trip, it will reset/zero it.

If you have it on a screen where it doesn't show the trip (eg: Digital Speedo) then pressing it once briefly will show date, time, odo, trip.

Started reading the manuals last night so I won't ask anymore questions as I'm sure most of the answers are in there.
We'll see ... :p:D

Press 0.0 once and it will display date, time, odometer, and trip mileage.
Press 0.0 a second time and it will reset the trip.
Does the same on my A4 too :thumbs up:

After a week of driving my new A3 I found a couple of surprises;

The 1.2T is a good little engine, it's a bit faster than I expected.
The ability to lower the screen into the dashboard. (nice for dark night driving)

One bad surprise, a car of this caliber should have atleast 1 USB-port, having none is a bit no-no.
Going to put a USB-plug in the rear 12v output just to be able to charge my Iphone without having to buy an expensive cable.

After a week of driving my new A3 I found a couple of surprises;

The 1.2T is a good little engine, it's a bit faster than I expected.
The ability to lower the screen into the dashboard. (nice for dark night driving)

One bad surprise, a car of this caliber should have atleast 1 USB-port, having none is a bit no-no.
Going to put a USB-plug in the rear 12v output just to be able to charge my Iphone without having to buy an expensive cable.

My UK saloon has a USB connector right next to the AMI socket in the arm rest. Is this a tech pack only feature perhaps?

The USB ports (unless it's changed recently) only comes with the Phone Box and the Audi Connect options.

If you have an address in your phone as well as phone number you can load it straight into the nav!
While it does work occasionally, the address parser isnt very good and fails to produce a valid destination more often than not, at least here in Norway. I guess Im formatting my contact addresses incorrectly according to Audi.

While it does work occasionally, the address parser isnt very good and fails to produce a valid destination more often than not, at least here in Norway. I guess Im formatting my contact addresses incorrectly according to Audi.

Same here in UK, some work, some don't. Not had a massive look into the correct format but need to as constantly driving to different stored locations all the time.

DSG Gearbox

In "normal" mode, "D/S" is illuminated on the gear lever panel.

Move the lever to the left (or right in LHD) into "Manual", and "+ -" is illuminated on the panel.

I only noticed that recently, in this winter darkness, when I wasn't going at 6 leptons in Manual mode

(And had time to glance down) :)

I know I'm being lazy but anyone want to summarise all 313 posts in 1 post?
Then maybe Sandra can make it a sticky.

I'm sure there is a lot of useful information in here, but I'm also sure there's a lot of unnecessary reading.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
For those with Adaptive Xenons:

Switch on your fog lights (front or rear - doesn't matter which) and the beam pattern changes to raise the nearside/kerbside beam, helping to see the side of the road further ahead (in theory).

John.

I'm surprised at how magnetic my car is.

Well at least the rear. People seem very attracted to it and drive very close!

Reactions: richinsoton, David83S3, Ben Daniel Grant and 5 others
I have the same problem with mine.
This morning a guy was so close behind me I couldn't even see his headlights anymore.

Maybe the boot is warm and they want to crawl up in there.

But you raise a good point, I'm surprised how other roadusers act when they are close to an Audi.
Before this car I had a Kia and atm. I see a lot more resentment/aggression with drivers around me.
I've been cut off more in the last month (I have the car a month now) than in the rest of the year. Same with tailgaiting (and I'm not a very slow driver)

I had the same last night. Some guy was so close all I could see was his windscreen. He soon pulled back when I slowed down to 5mph

Reactions: Woody86
I had the same last night. Some guy was so close all I could see was his windscreen. He soon pulled back when I slowed down to 5mph
I do the same. It's a good game seeing how slow you can go before they try to overtake.:D

Reactions: richinsoton, batch and David83S3