Little issues

S3_XBT

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you’re all doing well, I have a 2011 A3 2.0 TDi (CR140), I have a couple issues with it, steering wheel constantly squeaks, it should have a flat bottom one but the previous owner took it off and put a normal Sline in, so yeah, any solutions for the squeaking? Another issue is the headlight washer jets if that’s what they’re called, I can hear to motor running but they don’t pop out (I have lights turned on). And lastly, the clutch, changes gears fine, doesn’t slip, however every time you press the clutch in it clicks and every time I release the clutch, it clicks. Any solutions to any of my problems would be appreciated.

Probably badly fitted wheel, maybe they did cruise at the same time.

If they dont rise, could be bumper obstruction, leaks or pump issues.

Depends where the clicks coming from.

Probably badly fitted wheel, maybe they did cruise at the same time.

If they dont rise, could be bumper obstruction, leaks or pump issues.

Depends where the clicks coming from.
I think it’s badly fitted but don’t know how to go about it as don’t want to damage anything. And regarding the clutch it seems to be just behind the pedal or there abouts.

The clutch clicking I can sympathise.. I bought a 2011 cr140 last year with the clicking pedal.
I googled it before buying the car & general consensus was it's a white clip behind the clutch pedal that holds on to the master cylinder rod.
Mine was just that.
(check that part number is correct i just did a quick google to find it)
It was only a few quid.
I bought it with the intention of fitting it myself.. but as the mrs drives the car & hadn't complained I never bothered.
Until that is, the clutch died on me! so I had a mechanic fit the clip when doing the rest.
It's now lovely & click free.
It does seem a bit of a fiddly job as you need to remove the clutch pedal (hence me putting it off!)

The steering wheel one, possibly the slip ring behind the wheel dried out? not sure if you can lubricate those mind you as if it's the same as the older A4 they are a semi sealed unit (and expensive!)

I think it’s badly fitted but don’t know how to go about it as don’t want to damage anything. And regarding the clutch it seems to be just behind the pedal or there abouts.
I can probably fix the issue.

Reactions: norris_309
Maybe it's worth removing & refitting the wheel & see what the slip ring/steering angle sensor looks & sounds like with the wheel off it might give you some indication on where the squeek is coming from.
I've not removed the a3 steering wheel, but i expect it's the same as the older a4?.. disconnect the battery, i needed a very long thin torx bit to undo the airbag screws on the back of the wheel, the airbag then becomes loose. remove that will have wires to disconnect. then you need the spline tool to undo the wheel bolt holding it on.
If you do it, and there's not a centre mark, it's worth marking the position of the steering wheel so you get it back on straight (unless it isn't straight now of course!)
I was very hesitant of removing the steering wheel on my a4 to replace the steering angle sensor, but it was very easy to do once you have the right tools