Limp mode

palla1978

Reaction score
Evening All,

After a bit of advice. I broke my wrist 4 weeks ago so the s3 has sat doing nothing. I took it out today and it went into limp mode, drove it home and the fan was on, car wasn't up to temperature as it was only a 2 mile drive. Any ideas what this could be or will it be an expensive trip to the dealers.....?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Did it show a fault?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the coolant level ok? Did it start easily? Maybe the battery is nearly flat after sitting for 4 weeks. I’d check all the basics.

Is the coolant level ok? Did it start easily? Maybe the battery is nearly flat after sitting for 4 weeks. I’d check all the basics.
Yeah it started fine, coolant level is fine too

How do I check the faults?

If you have the Carista app and the dongle thing that plugs into the OBD2 port you could scan for fault codes. Of course if you do find fault codes it may well not be something you can fix and you'll end up taking the car to a mechanic anyway.

How do I check the faults?

If it went into limp mode I presume it restricted engine revs and cane up with a fault on the screen? If so the techs at the Audi garage will be able to find it and assess why

If it sat for a longer time check visualy the engine bay, i had quite a few ppl where mice ate a few bits while the car sat for a while. Just an idea.

Edit: usually its the vacum hoses

Cheers

Cheers. Had the codes read today and it's something to do with the coolant system. Should be fixed soon.

Hope it gets fixed soon. Maybe it’s the water pump. Seems to be quite a common fault. Please let us know what the problem was as it could help others in the same situation.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me.

Car can often sit for a week or two without being used. One evening last month, took it out and hadn't even gone a mile when sat stationary in traffic it went into limp mode. No warning of low coolant, no loss of coolant looking at tank. Hooked it up to the computer and came back with thermostat failure.

New waterpump required!

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me.

Car can often sit for a week or two without being used. One evening last month, took it out and hadn't even gone a mile when sat stationary in traffic it went into limp mode. No warning of low coolant, no loss of coolant looking at tank. Hooked it up to the computer and came back with thermostat failure.

New waterpump required!
Was just about to give an update when I noticed this.

I thought the pump too, however I needed the thermostat housing.

Hope you get yours fixed soon pal.

Thanks to the guys who replied to my post.