Lightened underdrive pulleys. Are they really worth the money....?

Markb

Reaction score
As subject are these Lightened underdrive pulleys really worth the money? Do they offer any gains over the standard items?

Just asking as I'll need my cam belt doing in a few thousand. So I was thinking about having these fitted while I was at it.

Cheers Mark.

Lightended pulleys don't have the harmonic balancer, so you run the risk of hurting your engine via vibration. Lots of discussion about the subject on vwvortex.

The underdrive can cause charging issues at lower revs and also you may find your A/C doesn't pump round as fast as it should. Not a huge problem most of the time, but if you spend time in traffic, then I'd steer clear.

Personally I would fit them if you paid me for the tiny amount of power they supposidly give.

They do look bling tho!

I fitted the neuspeed pulleys, but only because i have a lightweight flywheel, seemed to help the balance, no noticable power gains but am due a r/r test so i will letyou know.

Hi
I have lightened pulleys fitted for about 3 years now and no problems.

Your right you dont gain power but release it. The car will run smoother and revs faster

Simple to fit Just do it.

Simon
MRCtuning-remaped in real time

Hi Ryan

Runing fine

The cars just been re-maped by the guys from MCRtuning an early Christmas present.
Now the car performs very well no lag pulls hard to the re line.

Its been maped with more power and less boost which cant be bad.

The way MCRtuning work is that they are able to re-map on the fly.Its maped on the actual road not a rolling road Mihnea sits with his laptop and its something out of the Matrix with thousands of numbers tumbling before him.He knows his stuff.

We need a rolling road day

Simon

I'm going to awesome on the 29th,some of the other big boys will be there pushing 400+,come along.

i was considering the ECS pulley kit with rs4 flywheel, the flywheel is still heavy but i can't live daily with the single mass

as you say the pulleys look like they have no harmonic balancer? and are just very low fat pulleys, not underdrive. the alternator and power steering pulleys are much smaller, is it short term or long term effects on the engine you speak of? maybe worth experimenting with just ECS light alternator and powersteering and leaving crank stock with harmonic balancer? in place?