Light tuning of A4 (B6) 1.8T (190)

Paul_A4_UK

Reaction score
I've just posted up in the welcome forum ref my purchase of an Audi A4 (B6) 1.8T S-Line (190). So far I'm enjoying the car but will be looking to give a bit bit more oomph to bring the power to weight ratio up to / just over that of my last car, which was a lightly modified Peugeot 306-gti6. I did do a little reading up on the tuning of the Audi before purchasing it and have concluded I should be able to get about 220 - 225hp with a turbo inlet pipe, Miltek exhaust and a live map. I don't want to go mad to the extent where I'm needing larger intercoolers or bigger injectors and I've read up to 230hp the clutch should be OK too. Though I'm aware that with the car being at 64k miles and me upping the power it may not be too long until the clutch wears out. On that note how would my A4 respond to a lighter flywheel? is the engine pickup noticeably quicker? The one I fitted in my Pug made a big difference in the lower gears (where the lighter spinning mass helps most

One thing I do not want is to have an exhaust that drones, as in I can hear it whilst on the m-way from in the cabin. I see Miltek do a resinated and non-resinated exhaust. My tuning head says go non-resinated to get the best air flow but is this exhaust noisy on the m-way in the cabin? I don't mind subtle noise on full throttle, in fact in an ideal world I would like it quiet when cruising but a nice engine / exhaust note when on the throttle. Which turbo inlet pipe would people also suggest getting these days? I've read about O.CT ones but unsure if they still make them. APR do one though I do not know if this is a suitable substitute or not

With regards to mapping I read on these forums about Star up in Fife as being very reputable but living in Hampshire it's not a journey I really wish to make. Local to me I think there are two VAG tuners. Regal in Portswood/Southampton and JKM in Portsmouth. Has anyone had any dealings with either of these?

Do people think a live map is a maybe a little excessive for the mods I would like to fit as well? The reason I am thinking live map is because I know without blue-printing an engine everyones engine differes slightly thus to get the best for your particular setup a live map will give the most benefits. What is the price difference of a live map over a generic one? I paid about £400 for the live map on my Pug, is it the same for the Audi being it has a turbo and there will be more adjustments made? I also do not believe I'd hit the 220hp / 225hp mark on a generic map as they are always dumbed down to be 'safe'. Hopefully my logic isn't too far out!

Cheers

Paul